Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DOF quest: Nikon 28mm f/3.5 PC...tilted.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: DOF quest: Nikon 28mm f/3.5 PC...tilted. Reply with quote

Something interesting arrived today:

Nikon 28mm F/3.5 PC

mounted on kipon tilt adapter, with downward tilt applied.

In tests tonite it does seem to offer great increase in DOF when wide open. Shift allows control of perspective.

Lens is not heavy, and quite sharp in normal shooting: here a test this evening:

they fetch 400 every day on you know where, but this one has small scratch on front element, so won for 238 shipped Smile you can see flaw in pic just under "P".

came with caps, box and manual!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, it looks exciting!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is shift only, and please excuse the shaprness--I missed my focus on these, but you get some idea:

all taken from the identical spot.

to keep the same general comp, the camera must point differently depending on the shift to get the mountain range in the middle.

They may seem to be different scale crops, but actually identical pixel scale.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, very nice catch. I never realized how good it can be for shooting mountines. I think that I see that differences and it is quite surprising.
Now you have tilt-shift Nikkor lens =D damn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
Nice, very nice catch. I never realized how good it can be for shooting mountines. I think that I see that differences and it is quite surprising.
Now you have tilt-shift Nikkor lens =D damn.

you can waste lots of time, even in your living room

above no shift

above corrected with about 1/3 shift or less--didn't get it quite right.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is obvious in finder/lcd what change, isn't it?
I am specialized in portraits but I think that in that field it is unusable. What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you find the image quality with this lens, mainly sharpness when shifted?

Thanks
JJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
It is obvious in finder/lcd what change, isn't it?
I am specialized in portraits but I think that in that field it is unusable. What do you think?

When you read the tutorials and see the examples, there are full body portraits--e.g. a girls leans over a fence, in which the lenses are shifted to good results.

In combination with tilting movements many portrait effects are possible

"The Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Tilt-Shift Lens also works well for Portraits. A 90mm focal length typically gives nice perspective to people pictures. Adding tilt and rotation increases the portrait creativity available. The TS-E 90 enables a subject's eyes and the part of his/her environment you wish to emphasize to remain in focus while the remainder of the portrait is blurred to taste."

that from canon.

@jjphoto

It's quite a sharp lens unshifted. Much of my playing has been with extreme shifts--which would not be normal.

At some point I will do some sharpness testing.

Stopped down with large DOF the lens should be sharp accross the frame with moderte shift--pehaps even with more extreme shift.

Ideally one would get a modern 24mm or wider tilt/shift lens--though with FF the 90 might be fun as well--however these lenses are very expensive.

So I am using a 100USD tilt adapter with 200USD lenses.

A spring comes I will have a chance to get some serious practice. We'll see how the results are.

below a tilted nikon 50mm 1.4 normal lens

Last edited by uhoh7 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it looks like a very nice lens.

JJ