Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What adapter to get for 450D?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: What adapter to get for 450D? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, my first post here, I just happened to stumble across a small shop that sold a few m42 mount lenses the other day, and after spending some hours on google and ebay, found myself here.

I think I'm going to try out a MF lens very soon, but was wondering what adapter I should get to make it work with my Canon 450D? I've done some searching and came across something about flanges, no flanges, m42 pin being pressed down, AF confirm that doesn't really help AF... Its all very confusing (or maybe its just because its late now and I'm sleepy)

The lenses I'm looking at are: CZJ Tessar 50 2.8, CJZ Pancolar 50 1.8, Pentacon 50 1.8 or the Helios 44-2. Not sure which one I will end up getting just yet, and input would definitely be appreciated!

Will anyone help a MF noob out? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Sirrith to the forum. Perhaps you can introduce yourself a bit more in http://forum.mflenses.com/the-photographers-cafe-f9.html.

I don't have experience in all of your lens but since you can physically touch the lens, it is much easier to tell whether or not they need the flange type adapter. If there is a M/A switch on the lens, you don't need the flange type. If there is none, most probably you need the flange type adapter. To test, hold the lens and look from top or rear and change the aperture on the lens and see if the hole become bigger or smaller. If there is no change means you need the flange type.

Flange type adapter is usually more expensive. Even if the lens do not need the flange type adapter, you can still mount it with the flange type adapter. Adapter with chip give confirmation dot when it is in focus. You will need to manually focus the MF lens though. Hope this help.

By the way, Tessar 50/2.8 need flange type adapter but Pancolar 50/1.8 don't need the flange type.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that helps a lot, thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find helpfull about the EMF Chips, is not so much the fact that they enable the AF confirm, but having the correct EXIF data!
If you use the chipped lens correctly, not only do you have the lens data (F/mm), but it also writes the used Aperture to the exif.

Another hint: Buy the chips seperately and glue them onto the adapter yourself. Mostly saves you some money. They cost about 11$/€ at Big_IS (ebay).....So in the end the chip+adapter for my Helios cost me 4 times as much as the lens Very Happy