Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

them as PINched it... Pinhole Zoom 6x9 samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: them as PINched it... Pinhole Zoom 6x9 samples Reply with quote

"Somebody pinched it! And what I say is: them 'as pinched it, done her in" Eliza Doolittle

So, I'm a simple man. My cameras will be in one of two, at most three locations in the house.

I got the yen to convert my old Voigtlander Rollfilmkamera to a zoom pinhole - while the Skopar on it I think is capable, the shutter is way too violent in its action, thus causing all sorts of blur in photos. So, a pinhole with the shutter in T or B wouldn't actually make things worse... and as this isn't a self erecting folder, I can keep the bellows in for a wide angle, and pull them out for a longer 'focal length' for the pinhole. All I had to do was to take off the lens.

And to do that, my friends, I had to get my hands on the camera. I figured it would really be in one of two places... but no. I found some other stuff, but not this camera. I checked the other places it may be in, in descending order of likelihood... but nothing.

Grrr.

And I discovered that checking the same spot three times, with increasing care, won't turn up a large thing like a camera Laughing

So, I say, them's that pinched it, done her in!

Last edited by Nesster on Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it heard what you were going to do an hid itself!! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Like they say, fourth time's a charm! Found it, it was one level lower than I expected in a box I'd checked before... Nurse, Scalpel!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh I would say a brief case (no pun intended) of domestic blindness,always check right in front and up and down... Laughing Laughing
Put the scalpel down and back away from the camera!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late, Too Late I say! For I have done it... the two bits of glass are gone! The pinhole is in the barrel! The tripod bushing's going in! Bwaaahhhaaahhaa hahaa!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blame the time bandits, they must have done a quick relocate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, just done some calculations... with the pinhole around 50mm I get f/128, and at the infinity stop, f/288, and at the close focus stop f/325.

My Gossen reads directly f/128, and f/288 is close enough to three stops from f/90. I think I can do this Wink just need the sun to come up

If I use my other pinhole (mounted on a K body cap) I get f/180, f/480, and f/542, which get into the zero image tiny pinhole territory. So I'll leave that for now.

My special pinhole mount is a plastic film cap, sized to fit a standard Compur shutter barrel, so all I had to do was to pop it in, and do a couple of quick measurements.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas I am too late Crying or Very sad
But on the other hand we do expect photos taken with said Franken-pinhole camera Very Happy
Bah the time bandits are so 80s... Laughing Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinhole Zoom 6x9 by Nesster, on Flickr

of, not with... the sun's not even up yet here...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sun's not here so where is it? Shocked Not a pretty sight...but it will be interesting to see how it works.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 115mm by Nesster, on Flickr

at 55mm by Nesster, on Flickr

So, some success... at 115mm the pinhole covers the entire 6x9, but at around 55m there's a nice round image due to vignetting. You can see the threads from the bellows. But I'm not getting the sharpness I see in the Zero Image pinholes, maybe this hole is still too large.

Oh - film is Ilford HP5 Plus, D-76 1:1, Epson 4490.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look pretty good to me. The sharpness difference may have more to do with how close to perfect your pinhole is. The Zero Image ones may be laser shot.
Aluminum for your pinhole? Brass? Could be some itsy-bitsy burrs ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than what I thought it would be...but then I know nothing about pinhole cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking Wink pinholes are fun and educational.

self-hole in pin-hole featuring whilte lawn chairs by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
self-hole in pin-hole featuring whilte lawn chairs by Nesster, on Flickr

Laughing Laughing That is a great title.
Excellent photo...how do you work out the distance for focusing Confused with err.... a pinhole Sad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinhole has infinite depth of field, so it's the ultimate focus-free 'lens' Smile