Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

inexpensive 28mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: inexpensive 28mm? Reply with quote

I'm wanting to pick up a 28mm to try out, but I don't know yet how much I'll use that length, so I'm looking for something that's low in price but not terrible in quality. Any recommendations?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinon, Soligor, Panagor or Lentar maybe Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can often get a Takumar 28/3.5 for little money. Also, e.g. some of the Nikon 28's are inexpensive, due to the idea that only certain ones are their best Wink and thus the only ones worth having. Obviously this sort of thing is bunk - certainly the better ones are better, but the rest aren't exactly beach glass Wink

Also, with the various Vivitars you usually get reliably decent quality for cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a vivitar 2.5 /28 for a while .. very good for the money

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 28mm any, Yashica ML 28mm ,Kiron 28mm any. Nikon, Takumar 28mm f3.5 , Meyer-Primagon 30mm , Pentacon 30mm, Pentacon 29mm quality is very vary. Japanese made Carl Zeiss Jena , Olympus OM 28mm f2.8 , f3.5

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/othermaker/carl_zeiss_jena_II_28mm_f2_8/

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/yashica/yashica_ml_28mm_f2_8/

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Olympus_Om/28mm_f2_8_MC/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly recommend Tokina RMC 28mm f2.8 in any mount and Vivitars made by Kino, Komine and Tokina. Also Quantaray (made by Sigma) is a very good value-for-money option.

That's for lenses you can find very cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: inexpensive 28mm? Reply with quote

haley wrote:
I'm wanting to pick up a 28mm to try out

The Yashica 28mm ML is very good indeed, and there's a good account of it here from member 'aoleg' :-

http://forum.mflenses.com/yashica-ml-28-2-8-full-frame-shots-t18892.html

Mounts easily on your Canon via readily available adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Tamron Adaptall II 28mm f2.5. An excellent lens for little money!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a list of some extremely nice 28mm that can be had for under $60:

- Yashica ML 28/2.8: perfect all the way: contrast, colors, and resolution. Not a Zeiss Distagon, but rather close.
- Olympus Zuiko 28/2.8 (make sure to get the "Zuiko" or "MC Zuiko" version, not "H.Zuiko"): a very nice and tiny lens that's extremely sharp corner to corner if stopped down at least one stop. Kind of low contrast, but in a good way (has lots of detail in shadows); at the same time, it has high resolution.
- Nikkor AI or AIS 28/3.5: if you can settle for a slower max aperture lens, this is the one to get. It's very sharp straight from wide open. Very little distortion and excellent flare control.
- S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5: the oldest of the bunch, it is still a capable performer. Grab one if you can get it for little money.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the OP would want something adaptable to his camera without the need for additional optics. I'm not familiar enough with Canon to know what lenses are easily used, but M42 is usually the best bet. I'll also recommend Vivitar, which can be found in M42 for reasonable money except for the Close Focus version which would be expensive. I see the f2.5 M42 versions in the $40 range.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to second the Vivitar suggestions.
2.8/28 (by Komine) or 2.5/28 (by Kiron) - very good lenses for very little money. They are worth much more than they usually go for!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I would think the OP would want something adaptable to his camera without the need for additional optics. I'm not familiar enough with Canon to know what lenses are easily used, but M42 is usually the best bet.

Canon is the most adaptable brand for full-frame and APS-C. Olympus, Nikkor, Pentax, Contax, Leica are all usable without additional optics. M42 isn't totally safe with the Super Takumar 28/3.5 for instance, which will probably give mirror clearance problems on the 5Dmk2.

I second the recommendations for Olympus Zuiko 28/2.8MC and Vivitar 28/2.8 close focus. I think the Tamron and Yashica ML are good options as well, but I don't have experience with them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I would think the OP would want something adaptable to his camera without the need for additional optics. I'm not familiar enough with Canon to know what lenses are easily used, but M42 is usually the best bet.

Canon has a very short register (lens flange to focal plane distance), which means it's easy to make an adapter because the thickness of the adapter is accommodated by the increase in register of the adapted lens, so no glass is needed in the light path to ensure infinity focus. Yashica/Contax and M42 have virtually identical registers, and each is easily adaptable to EOS. This is why most Contax users who wanted to mount their CZ glass on a digital body went the Canon route. It's not possible with Nikon (without major mount surgery).

The M42 has a narrower 'throat' than the CY, which means that even though their registers are the same, you can still get an adapter to mount an M42 lens on a CY body, preserving infinity focus without glass, but not the other way round.

You can in some circumstances stack adapters. I've mounted my M42 Flektogon on a Canon 10D by putting a CY-M42 adapter on the Flek, then putting an EOS-CY on the adapted lens. That then mounted successfully (I'd omitted to pack my EOS-M42 adapter).

Be aware that some M42 adapters won't allow the lens to be stopped down, so the adapted lens would need to have an A/M switch in order to be stopped down. It's relatively easy to identify such adapters, because they lack a ridge that engages with the stop-down pin on the M42 lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: 28mm Reply with quote

I bought a Vivitar 28mm F2.8 PK mount for less than £25.00 - I have not used it that much as yet but each time I do it seems very good.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus 28 and S-M-C Tak 28 are so tiny you will love it on your body.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Perhaps you should have asked, "which cheap 28 should I avoid?" instead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Here's a list of some extremely nice 28mm that can be had for under $60:

- Yashica ML 28/2.8: perfect all the way: contrast, colors, and resolution. Not a Zeiss Distagon, but rather close.
- Olympus Zuiko 28/2.8 (make sure to get the "Zuiko" or "MC Zuiko" version, not "H.Zuiko"): a very nice and tiny lens that's extremely sharp corner to corner if stopped down at least one stop. Kind of low contrast, but in a good way (has lots of detail in shadows); at the same time, it has high resolution.

+1
Zuiko and Yashica isn`t hell sharp but they are very good. Zuiko is better in corners than Distagon ae at 2.8(MM is much much better in my eyes than every other 2Cool. Zuiko is better against the sun than Yashica.
Go for (in quality order) Distagon - Zuiko - Yashica

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Perhaps you should have asked, "which cheap 28 should I avoid?" instead

Well I nominate M42 Osawa 28mm f2.8 in the also-rans.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsmlogger wrote:
I strongly recommend Tokina RMC 28mm f2.8 in any mount and Vivitars made by Kino, Komine and Tokina. Also Quantaray (made by Sigma) is a very good value-for-money option.

That's for lenses you can find very cheap.

+1 for the Tokina (and each other words)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor 28/2.8 AIS (later version) is truly one of the great classics; near-macro close focus, optimized for near to medium distances, sharp from f/2.8 and compact. Can be had in used condition for between US$150-175. Reputed to be the sharpest 28mm Nikkor ever made and after 30 years, remains in production.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

I think that's a great idea. I'm going to start a new thread.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote here for the Vivitar 2.8/28. Beautiful quality and I just don't understand why they go for less than $20.
http://forum.mflenses.com/best-cheap-wide-angle-t28526,start,20.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Another vote here for the Vivitar 2.8/28. Beautiful quality and I just don't understand why they go for less than $20.

I agree! Superb lens!

The 2.5/28 is less compact, but also a very good performer.

Last edited by eeyore_nl on Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:
The Nikkor 28/2.8 AIS (later version) is truly one of the great classics; near-macro close focus, optimized for near to medium distances, sharp from f/2.8 and compact. Can be had in used condition for between US$150-175. Reputed to be the sharpest 28mm Nikkor ever made and after 30 years, remains in production.

It has two version one have 20cm close focusing difference , this have outstanding reputation and other one have 30cm close focusing difference as I heard this lens is less good. I have experience only with 20cm version.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like this is the lens I need to be on the lookout for. Under $20 and good? My kind of lens! Smile

eeyore_nl wrote:
peterqd wrote:

I agree! Superb lens!

The 2.5/28 is less compact, but also a very good performer.