Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 21M: Grinding my way to infinity
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 21M: Grinding my way to infinity Reply with quote

I've been a little disappointed with the sharpness of my Jupiter 21M, so I thought - maybe something is up with the distance between sensor and lens. So I started grinding.

My question is - should I continue to grind my adapter down until I achieve infinity or should I stop the pixel-peeking madness? Wink

Initial position lens/adapter:

Example photo at infinity F4 (not 100% crop):

Current position lens/adapter:

Example photo at infinity F4 (not 100% crop):

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the second pic the focus is further away, so it looks like it's working. If you are interested in infinity sharpness at that aperture you should continue grinding the adapter.

You can adjust the lens infinity instead too, or meaybe it would be more time effective to just order a new adapter in case that this particular lens is correctly adjusted.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is the lens - but still I'm using cheap adapters, so it wont be a disaster if the adapter end up being unusable or only usable for the Jupiter Lens.

Just for comparison here is an example of F4/infinity at 100% crop with my Volna-9 50mm:

I would have expected more IQ from the Jupiter, so I'll try to see how much more material is to be removed with the adapter still usable Smile

In the first grinding cited above about 0,6mm was removed.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is wrong with Jupiter. Lens should be closer to infinity in original state. You can test adapter with other lenses and you show Volna combo is fine thus...