Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 50-500 or Nikkor 2,8/300 AI-S
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Sigma 50-500 or Nikkor 2,8/300 AI-S Reply with quote

Hi Guys! I'm an Oly user, and I have a Sigma 50-500, but now I have a possibility for changing it to a Nikkor AI-S 2,8/300. I'm generally satisfied with the picture quality of the Sigma, but the Nikkor - as I saw - is also exceptional. My problem with the Sigma is generally that it's sharp from f9. I have nothing against manual focusing. What do you think, is it a good idea to change my Sigma to this lens? Could anybody write some private opinion on the Nikkor?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have either lens, not even used either, nor know anytning about the Nikon, but I'd swap the Sigma in a heartbeat. If the Nikon is in proper condition, it ought to blow the Sigma away. And then it is also two stops faster - and one probably doesn't need to stop down to get solid quality.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Fraid I'm with Anu. I'd do the trade in a heartbeat also, especially if the 300/2.8 is in decent condition. If it's been through the press wars, however, I'd want to make a full inspection before doing the trade.

That Nikkor, provided it's in good condition, should be quite sharp wide open. Those lenses were designed especially for wide-open shots where the background is blown out of focus. I've never owned one, but I've used one before, and it was a very impressive optic.

Also, with teleconverters, you can have a 400/4 with a 1.4x and a 600/5.6 with a 2x -- two impressive focal length/aperture ratios when you think about it. And if you use good teleconverters, the image degradation will be minimal.

The Sigma pluses are that it is AF and has optical stabilization, so the 300/2.8 will probably need a monopod in situations where the Sigma might be hand-holdable. Something to consider.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and use a Bigma. It is my favorite lens by far....but if a FA* 300mm f/2.8 Pentax lens came along I'd trade it in a heart beat. Probably the same in your case.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO they are 2 completely different lenses and cannot be compared.

You say you don't need AF but how about needing the versitility of the 50-500 range? What is it at 300mm that you like so much? Is the extra speed of the Nikkor worthwhile if you take most shots at F8+?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bigma has its own following, people who like the price/quality/range ratios. The Nikkor is a great lens and will certainly blow the Bigma away at 300mm, if that is what you want

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advices. I decided to sell the Sigma. I loved the range, I loved the quality, but it sucked the dust like a vacuum cleaner and it was "a bit" slow. Otherwise it's a really great lens.
I bought my Nikkor finally, it has incredible picture quality, in 2,8/300. Now I'm waiting for the adapter and the focusing screen from China. After they arrived I'll put some 100% crop here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see the pics, arnhun.