Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 135/3.5 Ai - simple optical formula delivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 135/3.5 Ai - simple optical formula delivers Reply with quote

Hard to find a really bad 135mm lens yes, but the Nikkor 135/3.5 Ai is one with awfully good price/quality ratio: wide open almost no vignetting whatsoever (on full frame), not troubled by CA and near zero geometric distortion. Sharpest at f/5.6, resolution holds well until diffraction kicks in at f/16.

This is shot with a D3 and Nikkor 135/3.5 Ai: lens set wide open, minimum focusing distance, hand-held f/3.5 1/125s ISO 1800 (noise reduction off). Despite harsh treatment of lens the image (technical) quality is good for large size print.

See original size here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mureena/4730409634/sizes/l/

Simple life, simple food & simple optical formulas: elk tenderloin steak, frozen from last hunting season. It never noticed what happened as I put the bullet between its eyes (no precious meat destroyed). Un-stressed wild game tastes a hell of a lot better than over-stressed agitated mass-production meat, and the meat is fat-free.

Last edited by Esox lucius on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tasty shot - it's a great lens and the elk is one of my favourite meats.

Nice collection

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! what a tasty shot! Very Happy

lens? Nikkor? 135? no distortion?

Yes! I can not see any distortion in that beer or food Smile

tf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon D3, wide open at near min focus distance, 1.3 to 1.4m. Slightly different focus than in the other shot but the detail is there.

Nikon D3, f/8 at near min focus distance, 1.3 to 1.4m. Most of the improved detail is from increased DoF. The lens is already very good wide open, improves a wee bit stopped down to f/5.6 where it is as sharp as at f/8.

Impressive results for a lens that's available for less than 100 EUR on the aftermarket.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 135/3.5 Ai - simple optical formula delivers Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Hard to find a really bad 135mm lens yes, but the Nikkor 135/3.5 Ai is one with awfully good price/quality ratio: wide open almost no vignetting whatsoever (on full frame), not troubled by CA and near zero geometric distortion. Sharpest at f/5.6, resolution holds well until diffraction kicks in at f/16.

This is shot with a D3 and Nikkor 135/3.5 Ai: lens set wide open, minimum focusing distance, hand-held f/3.5 1/125s ISO 1800 (noise reduction off). Despite harsh treatment of lens the image (technical) quality is good for large size print.

See original size here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mureena/4730409634/sizes/l/

Simple life, simple food & simple optical formulas: elk tenderloin steak, frozen from last hunting season. It never noticed what happened as I put the bullet between its eyes (no precious meat destroyed). Un-stressed wild game tastes a hell of a lot better than over-stressed agitated mass-production meat, and the meat is fat-free.

Vilhelm,
Your lens watering my mouth. This is not a kind of boring test obviously.

Really like the lens, and the meat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The elk fried in the original post was shot with Carl Zeiss riflescope fixed on a SAKO .308, which may explain my liking of Zeiss optics 8-D

Highly recommended, good for targets >100m <150m just be careful to calibrate and correct on a shooting range before you take it out.
http://www.zeiss.com/C1256BCF0020BE5F/ContentsWWWIntern/78A3EB702C91FF5185256D1300769B8D

Very good scope btw, I've managed to nail a pack of cigarrettes from 300m with it.