Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pancolar 2/50 .....gold mines revisted
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Pancolar 2/50 .....gold mines revisted Reply with quote

Here is my original post
http://forum.mflenses.com/gold-mine-ruins-for-rolf-t30069,highlight,gold+mine+australia.html
Now the following is the falls/Gold area with flood water all taken with the Pancolar and K200D,I have PPed some and auto PPed some and some are straight from the camera.Very hard to get the water just right with the lovely brick work.
The drought has broken and after about 10 years we have local flooding after receiving a months worth of rain in 24 hrs! C&C welcome and any tips for capturing the power of water and cutting down on the whiteness factor of the white and brown water.The amount of photographers/people with cameras out and about taking photos of the wet chaos, you would love to see!...no manual lenses though Sad

#7Cropped the river from the bottom of this.

#9 These cacti must have been planted by gold miners...back in the 1900s

#11There is a little bridge under this mound of water...so no access to the other side.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done Mo-I can feel the power of the water. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked so much soil washing away Sad (and mercury & arsenic)

I see one person was using MFlenses, and we all know who made the best photos Wink

How much rain is 'a months worth of rain in 24 hours!'?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say what a months worth is after a drought ,I have only heard from people I know and I have not found the official records yet for this weekends weather...but we are talking inches...non stop rain Smile From a river doubling or even tripling it's size over a period of 4hrs....I got caught out with a few friends and was stuck for three hours because we could not get back through the flooded road...My friends husband had to rescue us in their 4 wheel drive.
The river is fed from the mountains so it had a lot of water coming down it...I do know there were slips and other little dramas around the area.It was a novel experience because during the last 10 years you have to understand that we were lucky to get a hours rain or a days rain once a month sometimes you would get a few days together of rain but not this type of heavy rain...there were so many people who were out with their cameras to capture the moment.I got a few other images I may post in another thread...not the best as I was excited by the power of the water and because it was still on and off rain and my manual lens was not water proof.. Very Happy
Quote:
Shocked so much soil washing away Sad (and mercury & arsenic)

Why are you worried about mercury and arsenic? This creek has not flowed like this in years it was on the verge of drying up...I would think there would be a whole lot of "garbage" being flushed through it after years of inactivity.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury is used to separate gold from rock. Arsenic is often found in conjunction with gold. Both are disposed on site. A real big problem here in the California gold country.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very impressive shots!
(It is Agave plants, not catii btw.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genuine

auto contrast and color

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila...I still find the PP thing hard to learn, when is too much PP and when is not enough Very Happy
Thanks kds135* I knew it wasn't a cacti but could not think of what it really was Embarassed
@visualopsins
I did not know arsenic was associated with gold fields! Did they use mercury even back then on a commercial scale?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, mercury has been used for gold extraction since ancient times. Google: "gold mining mercury use" and "gold mining arsenic mercury" for plenty of links...such as http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3014/ Use in California dates from 1860s.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I think I would rather keep the fine gold dust as it comes... natural.