Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 - first photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 - first photos Reply with quote

I could spend a lot of time with this lens. All three shots are wide open.

Say hello to my little friend. A one-handed shot; he (she?) was very cooperative.

This is great practice for keeping the camera steady. I need to re-shoot this one with a dark background.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic lens, init. I sure love mine. I also use mine for duplicating slides with my DSLR.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! great grasshopper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good colours (expecially in the 2nd and 3rd).
But at wide open is too soft....close to f.16 and try again Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Fantastic lens, init. I sure love mine. I also use mine for duplicating slides with my DSLR.

I'm hoping to do that also. It will beat the heck out of my flatbed scanner. Do you use extension tubes or a bellows, or just the lens?

Focusing when stopped down past 5.6 is difficult on my 350D, but I'm working on it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples of a terrific value lens. This is an amazing lens given its age and average cost on fleabay

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grasshopper looks great, love that shot. Also the third image, and yes, would love to see it in front of a darker background to give it some more contrast. The first photo indeed seems to be a bit soft for my taste.

In any case, looks like a great lens!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moose10101 wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

I'm hoping to do that also. It will beat the heck out of my flatbed scanner. Do you use extension tubes or a bellows, or just the lens?

I use a 20mm extension tube, which when coupled to the extension tube base, amounts to a total of 30mm. Attached to the front of the 55 Micro is the tube from an Opteka "digital" slide duplicator, and attached to the tube is a slide carrier I took off an old Cambron zoom-slide duplicator. Definitely a cobbled-together rig, but it works very well. Anyway, this setup provides me with an almost exact 1:1 image size (just a hair under), in terms of the frame size for my 1.6x crop body EOS, at any rate. Which should be the same with your 350D.

I haven't tried using a bellows yet, although buying one with slide copier attachment is on my list of things to get. If I can collapse the bellows to 30mm, then it will work just as well as the extensions I use, plus if I wanted to crop a slide, then the bellows will be ideal for this.

Here is a link to a thread I started here a while back about my duplicator rig, showing some results.

http://forum.mflenses.com/slide-copying-scanner-vs-duplicator-t22881,highlight,duplicator.html

Nowadays, for exposure, I have a flash I've set to a manual output of 1/32 that I mount to a light stand, with cabling and an off-camera adapter, and I just point the rig at the flash and fire away.