Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fixed a Pentax-M 55mm f2 - shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Fixed a Pentax-M 55mm f2 - shots Reply with quote

I bought off Ebay a Pentax 55mm K mount f2 lens that was sold was optically fine but with a dink in the filter thread. When I got it home the filter thread was so loose that it was about to fall off and there was fungus in the elements. After a polite email the seller gave me a refund for the whoke amount and told me to keep the lens rather than send it back Cool
Now as this lens has cost me nothing I thought I'd try and repair it !

So first was the filter thread, this turned out to be the 3 screws that retain it, one was out rattling about, the other nearly out loose and the third was holding it in place hence why it hadn't left the lens body.
After that I unscrewed the screws that hold the mount on, took it off and unscrewed the last element holder. With this out and with the use of a torch I saw that the main part of the lens was fine but my problem was with this last part. After splitting these into individual elements and working out which was was bad it was treated to a bath in vinegar, then with several cold cream applications. The fungus has eaten away some of the coating so it looks cloudy still but there isn't no fungus there Very Happy
It sounds simple but for me it wasn't, I was lucky to have a few PU members helping me along the way! Anyway here are some pictures of the repaired and FREE lens Wink

A 100% crop from the above pic

I'm happy with it Cool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! This is a great lens !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, looks very nice! I like the fly on the pink flower and the blue bench best.

Congrats on your free lens Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both Cool