Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD to EOS adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Canon FD to EOS adapter Reply with quote

Why can I not operate the lens diaphrams on my FD lenses when this adapter is placed between the lens and an EOS camera such as 20d etc etc. Its okay when I use FL or other preset lenses but with FD lenses - no chance. Help please

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to manual operation or automatic operation of the diaphragm? I have the macro adapter version and it works fine but only by manual operation of the aperture ring.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the one with the peice of glass in it which is supposed to allow focusing to infinity etc., BUT using FD lenses there doesnt seem to any way of operating the diaphram, doesn't matter which way the lens aperture ring is turned the diaphram of the lens doesnt move, is this because there is NO mechanical linkage (or electric for that matter) between the camera and the lens? If so, the adapter aint worth a penny as it doesnt do what it is supposed to do. More help please

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The macro adapters for FD to EF usually have a pin that actuates the aperture lever. If your adapter with optics doesn't have this, there is two things you can do, depending on the kind of lens you mount to it:

1. If you have "new FD" lenses with the "new style" bayonet mount, you can push the aperture lever anti-clockwise until it clicks and stays in place. Now the aperture will stop down as long as the lens is mounted to the adapter (or a rear cap or something else).

2. If you have FD lenses with the older breech-lock mount, you can push the aperture lever anti-clockwise and use something like a toothpick (cut to the right length) to block the lever (insert it in the slot in which the aperture moves). Now the aperture will work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same problem with an adapter bought on this forum. i solicited and received tons of advice. i decided to try another adapter and surprise! it worked fine!

as an aside, tbh and not meant to deflate your enthusiasm, i was very disappointed in the degrading influence the glass adapter had on the fd lenses attached to ef mount cameras. this seems to be a consistent issue. hopefully your experience is different.