Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Summilux-R 50mm just looooves B/W
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Summilux-R 50mm just looooves B/W Reply with quote

To say that I'm pleased with my 'lux would be an understatement, but anyways, today I did some testing with my latest gem, which is the 1st version of the 50/1.4, with the detachable hood. Compared to my Tak 50/1.4 or my C/Y Planar 50/1.4 it has a completely different personality. At first glance it is not as bitingly sharp or contrasty as the Planar, nor has it that buttersmooth bokeh of the Tak, but there is a lot of detail in it and it gives a typical vintage look I cannot yet describe.

I still need some time to figure out where its strengths are, but I know B/W is one of those areas where it really shines. I took some quick pics today to see how it performed, and most of them screamed "B/W" to me after importing them. Quite definitely I will need some time to get used to this one, just like the other 1.4's it has some thorns on its usage.

Some work of art on a wall, depicting flying birds:

My 5 yo son pondering what he would like for dinner:

My daughter munching a sandwich:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one is very cute , great capture.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I agree.. you're daughter's photo is really nice...

Am I understanding you correctly, are you shooting 4/3rds? If so, have you checked guy I knows' co..

http://noktor.com/

Shooting @ .95?!?!.. man I'm waiting for him to make a canon mounted version (and when I have some more monies Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to shoot at f8-f11 Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea with lots of focus... Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have currently two 1.2 lens one Pentax SMC and Konica , both are stunning lens but no occasion to use them I love to shoot where is plenty of sunshine, lights. I really not understand why people so crazy about fast lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kastro wrote:
Yea I agree.. you're daughter's photo is really nice...

Am I understanding you correctly, are you shooting 4/3rds? If so, have you checked guy I knows' co..

http://noktor.com/

Shooting @ .95?!?!.. man I'm waiting for him to make a canon mounted version (and when I have some more monies Very Happy

No I am using an EOS 40D. It's the Summilux-R I am using, not the M. But the u4/3 got my attention indeed since you can fit them with Leica M glass.

However, I like shallow DoF, so I think I better save for a real M9 (hope my wife doesn't read this Smile) and have a FF sensor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images! The 'lux is a fantastic glass!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
(...) I really not understand why people so crazy about fast lenses.

Crazy is a bit strongly put, but I certainly like of fast lenses for numerous reasons.

Most obvious is the narrow depth of field which can be used creatively, especially because the really fast ones have excellent soft or dreamy characteristics.

Secondly -also trivial- would be the usability in low light conditions where one cannot use flash (or is not allowed to). I love to shoot concerts for example.

And last, but certainly not least is the brightness in the viewfinder. Especially the crop body SLRs are really dim when compared to FF. The dark viewfinder makes focussing really hard. After using the Spotmatic or the R5 it takes some getting used to switching back to the 40D, as if someone closed the curtains.

Oh, and ofcourse to attract pretty girls, who really dig fast lenses... Oh wait, that is BIG lenses Smile