Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fun at f/1.2 (not)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Fun at f/1.2 (not) Reply with quote

When I bought my Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 SSC Aspherical several months ago, I also bought an FL 55mm f/1.2 along with it. I haven't done much with this lens, mostly because it's an FL mount and the only way I can use it with my EOS DSLR is with an FD-EOS adapter. I discovered soon after buying the adapter that it flares noticeably at apertures wider than about f/4, and flares terribly at apertures wider than about f/2. So for using it with my two fast lenses on my EOS DSLR, it was next to useless.

But the optical element is removable. So, today I decided to try out these two lenses with the adapter but without its glass element. First thing I noticed was that the range of focus is very narrow. Somewhere around 20 to 30cm in front of the camera from infinity to closest focus. A very narrow range, so when the element is removed, all it's good for is macro uses.

I've played around enough with the 85mm using decent slide film and am satisfied with its performance, but I haven't done the same yet with the 55mm so I spent most of my time with it.

Following are some photos. Sorry the subjects are rather plain. Here during the dog days of late summer, there are no flowers in bloom around my house, but my holly tree has been heavy with berries for some time. So it would have to do.

Trying to get the focus right using fast lenses with my EOS XS (1000D) is a real chore because of the focusing screen's built-in depth of field. Anything faster than about f/4 and you can't tell if the image is actually in focus at the sensor plane. A real PITA. The only solution I've found is to take a lot of photos of the same subject, adjusting the focus slightly (or moving the camera in and out slightly), and hope that at least one is in focus. This is what I had to do with all the shots taken at f/1.2 below.

Some shots with the 55mm f/1.2 at f/1.2. First thing I noticed was the strong CA. But the bokeh are so extreme at that aperture, that it's possible to do something with the bokeh and CA, as the fourth shot shows. Wide open, the focus appears rather soft, but it's hard to say with my camera. Examining the images at 100% reveals a good amount of detail. Note the strong CA and oval shaped bokeh.

The spider web really shows the CA, mostly purple. There was a lot of green CA also.

Sometimes the results can be interesting . . .

A decent amount of detail in the next two shots.

And same as above, but at f/4.

The following two shots were taken with the 85/1.2. Wide open then at f/4. The level of detail between the two lenses is pretty close. But the 85's CA is much less.

Crops of both the 55mm and 85mm wide open at f/1.2. The 85mm crop was at 100%. The 55mm was somewhat less, since its magnification with the adapter was greater.

55mm

85mm

I feel the need to emphasize again that my best attempts at focusing with these lenses and my camera may have focusing errors. The discussions and descriptions I've read on the subject of focusing screens have left me with unanswered questions, so I remain confused.

Last edited by cooltouch on Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:19 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that 85mm really looks great

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to adapt FL mount to EOS?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FD to EOS adapter also works with FL lenses.

Or can I assume by your question you're wondering if the lenses can be converted? The answer to that is 'Yes.' I know of at least one person who has converted an FL 19mm f/3.5 to EOS mount. I'm sure it can be done with others, especially since the FL mount itself is so much simpler in construction than the FD mount.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But on the other hand, our hinnerker has tried to convert some FL lenses to EOS and encountered some real difficulties (I think with diaphragm control, but I'm not sure). And he's great with FD to EOS conversions!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found f1.2 challenging with a 5D, fair play for giving it a go with the 1000D! Surprised

I think we have to accept that these lenses are great for low light and special effects, but not brilliantly usable on a day to day basis )certainly not wide open anyway). People buying these obviously had some cash! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I think we have to accept that these lenses are great for low light and special effects, but not brilliantly usable on a day to day basis )certainly not wide open anyway). People buying these obviously had some cash! Laughing

Hm? The FD 85/1.2 SSC Aspherical has been found to be sharper wide open than the EF 85L II. Less purple fringing too. It's one of the best 85/1.2's ever made.

Of course using a 85mm at 1.2 isn't practical in many cases, simply because of the shallow DoF.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Canon FD ssc asph 85mm f1.2 was converted in Year 2008 by me. The results which I saw in your shots, shows me exactly the same effects which I had during the conversion.
I have found also that the last glass element should be 42mm distance to the sensor (don't know why, I am not lense designer), otherwise you get strong CA and dream colour.
Regards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
But on the other hand, our hinnerker has tried to convert some FL lenses to EOS and encountered some real difficulties (I think with diaphragm control, but I'm not sure). And he's great with FD to EOS conversions!

I suspect probably not the diaphragm control, since with the FL, unlike with FD lenses, the diaphragm can be manipulated easily when the lens is off the camera.

Here is the thread over at the "other" manual focus forum, where the guy shows how he converted his FL 19mm step-by-step:

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=16902

It does appear to be more involved than converting the FDs I've seen done.

Convert1, thanks for that bit of optical info -- not that I ever plan to convert either of these two lenses. I remain hopeful that someday Canon will introduce an EVIL with an APS-C or larger sized sensor, so I can use my unconverted FD/FL lenses on it. And if Canon drags their feet too long, I may have to look to Sony -- or even Samsung. I'm getting really tired of the shortcomings of my XS.

AhamB and ManualFocus-G, yes, the 85/1.2 is very limited in what can be done with it wide open. I mean for portraiture, for example, if I focus on my subject's eye, I have to make sure I've focused on the reflection in the eye, because the eyelashes will be somewhat out of focus, and the nose? Forget about it. Cool And of course, trying to pull this off with an XS is an annoying feat. But I still love it, so I keep it because I do use it with my Canon F-1 and FTb. Slides and B&W images come out very nice.

What I've learned most from this test is that the old FL 55mm f/1.2 is actually a respectable performer. Prior to this test, I have used it only once, shooting some ISO 400 Fuji Superia with my Canon FTb. Not the best film to do lens tests with -- it's just too grainy. So my impressions from that experience were that it was a "soft" lens. Not really true, especially once stopped down to f/4 as the above image shot at that aperture shows.