Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

COMPARISON: Zuiko ZD 14-54/2.8-3.5 Mk.I vs. Leica-R 35/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: COMPARISON: Zuiko ZD 14-54/2.8-3.5 Mk.I vs. Leica-R 35/2.8 Reply with quote

Both setting: 1/50 sec, f/4, ISO 200, WB: SUNNY
Only resize (bicubic) in GIMP.

First Zuiko:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the Leica ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite Olympus' theory of telecentric lens design and designing 4/3 standard from the ground up, I think some old primes still had the cutting edge.
What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica to me without doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Leica seems to be a tad better in the center but the Zuiko is by far better in the corners.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsmlogger wrote:
The Leica seems to be a tad better in the center but the Zuiko is by far better in the corners.

Ahh, you're right! I don't see it until you mentioned it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Leica to me without doubt.

+1
User experience, color, sharpness (center), etc ...
Even the blurred edges makes it suitable for BW portrait Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yadisl wrote:
Despite Olympus' theory of telecentric lens design and designing 4/3 standard from the ground up, I think some old primes still had the cutting edge.
What do you guys think?

I don't think much of it except: what aperture was the Leica shot at? The telecentricity of the Zuiko is obvious: sharp into the extreme borders. The contrast and color saturation is clearly better on the Leica.

Does the corner sharpness of the Leica improve at apertures like f/8?

I think 35mm is a bit of a weird focal length for m4/3's anyway: a bit short for portraits and not suitable as a walkaround lens like a 17/18/25mm would be.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guy's.. but what Elmarit Version you are talking about??
And on a mft- cam discussing the edges??

Dont understand....

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
Sorry guy's.. but what Elmarit Version you are talking about??
And on a mft- cam discussing the edges??

Dont understand....

You've never heard of corner smearing with Leica M and other rangefinder lenses on m4/3's camera's and the reason why Olympus makes their lens designs telecentric? It has everything to do with the angle at which the light hits the sensor in the corners, which can be very steep with non-telecentric lenses. Digital sensors with microlenses don't respond well to this, whereas film didn't really have that problem. This is also the reason why it was so difficult to make the sensor of the Leica M9 (they did something special with offset microlenses I believe, to prevent dark and smeared corners).

Edit: oops, I thought yadisl was using a Leica M lens, but it's an R. Then I don't really understand why the corners look so bad. That shot with the Leica must have been take wide open then?

Last edited by AhamB on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
It has everything to do with the angle at which the light hits the sensor in the corners, which can be very steep with non-telecentric lenses. Digital sensors with microlenses don't respond well to this, whereas film didn't really have that problem

yes, very important remind
it is important to test a lens on film before sending it to bin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: digital sensors don't respond well? Reply with quote

I was curious about what this means. On the sample above with the Leica lens, I see corner and edge softness, while the Olympus lens is sharp throughout - is the softness what is expected from a non-telecentric lens? ...and if it is a softness, how does this happen? Is it refraction because light is hitting the sensor and the filter at oblique angles and bouncing around or...? I suppose I'll have to go re-read the 4/3 site, but although I am convinced of the high quality of the entire line of Olympus Digital lenses, I have alway assumed that "telecentricity" was just a new bit of jargon introduced to confuse me Confused which I began to ignore as I discovered more and more MF lenses that worked well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertro wrote:
I see corner and edge softness, while the Olympus lens is sharp

check this link
we could conclude that telecentric lenses are needed for digital
but sensor have also other problems like vignetting
vigneting is much worst in digital than film and have the same origin, sensor only see straight rays
when the sensor microlenses will 'see' non straight light, non telecentric lenses will work fine, like they work today on film

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really tell from just a shot of leaves at 1/50 sec shutter speed, can you?