Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 350mm F5.6 mirror lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Tamron 350mm F5.6 mirror lens Reply with quote

The attached photo is from Mt Hotham in the high country, Victoria last week. At least seven people can be seen about 1.5 kilometres across the valley. Uncropped. f5.6 of course, 1/2000sec, ISO 100.

Very happy with lens. Very compact.
bb2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good lens alright Smile I've never noticed ca with it before (is that possible with a mirror) but I shall check later Wink Nice shot BTW Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mistake Shrek, I confused lens and of course most mirror don't show CA Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good-oh, I thought I was having a senior moment prematurely then Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Good-oh, I thought I was having a senior moment prematurely then Laughing Laughing Laughing

don't laugh, in a few year you will also meet your senior moments Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Shocked

It looks like a model of a mountain and some plastic people. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
my mistake Shrek, I confused lens and of course most mirror don't show CA Embarassed

Older mirror lenses had never ca because they only were made of mirrors (no lenses)

Most modern mirrors have both mirrors and lenses = they can have ca depending how they are designed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not even aware that a mirror lens was made in a focal length this short, so thanks for posting. It is apparently a well-regarded lens (as all SP lenses are) and apparently pretty rare, so nice find!

While I would probably snag a 500mm or 600mm mirror lens if one presented itself at a good price, I don't think I would be very interested in a mirror lens at this focal length myself. For one thing, you only have a fixed aperture. For close focusing, you will have the weird mirror lens bokeh (due to the central obstruction).

I'm a "bang for the buck" guy, and so much better lens all the way around (IMHO) is the old Tele-Takumar 300mm f6.3 preset. You've got variable aperture (down to f22), no central obstruction, and it takes inexpensive 58mm filters and hood. Also has a removable tripod collar. Weighs more at 729 grams (compared to your 577), is a maximum f6.3 compared to your f5.6, (and of course you are giving up 50mm in focal length) but is much more common to find and quite inexpensive when you do.

I have the 200mm Tele-Takumar and if the 300mm is anything like it in sharpness, contrast and color quality it is well worth having in your kit for daylight work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:
I was not even aware that a mirror lens was made in a focal length this short, so thanks for posting. It is apparently a well-regarded lens (as all SP lenses are) and apparently pretty rare, so nice find!

There are 250mm (Minolta) and 300mm (Panagor) mirror lenses too.

Last edited by AhamB on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very sharp lens!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:
There are 250mm (Minolta) and 300mm (Tokina I believe) mirror lenses too.

No 300mm tokina mirror but in mirror :
+ Makinon 300mm (Good) /5.6
+ Sigma 400mm/5.6
+ All 'no names" 300mm/5.6 t2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
cheekygeek wrote:
There are 250mm (Minolta) and 300mm (Tokina I believe) mirror lenses too.

No 300mm tokina mirror but in mirror :
+ Makinon 300mm (Good) /5.6

It was the Panagor 300/5.6 that I remembered. Smile Edited my previous post to prevent confusion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Bali at the moment. I am certainly appreciating the portability of this lens.
bb2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love one of these but they are so expensive nowadays!

I have the 500mm and I love it Smile