Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Porst 135mm f/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Porst 135mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
I know there are other topics about this lens. I open a new one because I am a bit confused.
I own this lens (found it at my wife's old house); bought a M42 adapter for my canon 5dmkII and put it on.
The problem is that I cannot infinite focus. I cheched the lens: i saw that it has another adapter attached on it.
I unscrewed it and found out a strange mount I never saw. Do I need another adapter to be able to use this lens with my 5d and keep infinite focus?
Here below pictures of lens with its own M42 adpater and without it.

Is it me or I can't upload pictures?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Porst 135mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

tardegardo wrote:
Hi everybody,
I know there are other topics about this lens. I open a new one because I am a bit confused.
I own this lens (found it at my wife's old house); bought a M42 adapter for my canon 5dmkII and put it on.
The problem is that I cannot infinite focus. I cheched the lens: i saw that it has another adapter attached on it.
I unscrewed it and found out a strange mount I never saw. Do I need another adapter to be able to use this lens with my 5d and keep infinite focus?
Here below pictures of lens with its own M42 adpater and without it.

Is it me or I can't upload pictures?

Anti spam measure you can adter 1st post
Thats a t2 adaptor
Some adaptors may be to thick on your camera depends on manufacturer you can always buy t2 to eos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=220937042209&index=2&nav=SEARCH&nid=60336106651

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you eddieitman,
do you think that with that adapter I'd keep infinite focus?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't T2 supposed to be M42 only with annoying differing slope?

I hear if you gum T2 into M42 it gets stuck. That would be consistent with the adaptor being Pentax-K TO T2. OTOH, people usually buy these to adapt T2 TO their camera, not the other way round. Can't really see anything on the "strange mount" clearly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I have infinity problems too (on sony), it's a common issue with m42 adaptors that are mechanically a bit (like 20 µm I suppose) faulty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
Isn't T2 supposed to be M42 only with annoying differing slope?

I hear if you gum T2 into M42 it gets stuck. That would be consistent with the adaptor being Pentax-K TO T2. OTOH, people usually buy these to adapt T2 TO their camera, not the other way round. Can't really see anything on the "strange mount" clearly.

Yes T2 is kind of M42 "reversed": I noticed I can take the t2/m42 adapter, upside-down it, and screw on the lens.
But it's pretty useless… Smile
I need a t2 to eos adapter, and hope I can keep the infinite focus.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
Also, I have infinity problems too (on sony), it's a common issue with m42 adaptors that are mechanically a bit (like 20 µm I suppose) faulty

I see… thank you by the way!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved the infinite focus problem. I realized the lens had a strange small ring mounted on. It is clearly visible on the second pic. I managed to unscrew it and now it works just fine. M42 native.
And I love this lens. Specially from 2.8 on.
I will soon try it on a m4/3 body too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tardegardo wrote:
I solved the infinite focus problem. I realized the lens had a strange small ring mounted on. It is clearly visible on the second pic. I managed to unscrew it and now it works just fine. M42 native.

That ring is the inside of the T-mount. Looks like someone screwed a T-mount onto the M42 mount...weird! Glad you got it sorted!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe somebody wanted to use it as an "ersatz" macro ring.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
tardegardo wrote:

That ring is the inside of the T-mount. Looks like someone screwed a T-mount onto the M42 mount...weird! Glad you got it sorted!

Yes, exactly.
Now I am looking for an altrrnate focusing screen that makes easyer to focus with this lens.
Any suggestion for the 5dmkII?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tardegardo wrote:
Now I am looking for an altrrnate focusing screen that makes easyer to focus with this lens.

I'm very happy with the EE-S in my 5D I (got a 1.8/135 as well Wink). For the 5D II that would be the EG-S. I once tried a split image screen from focussingscreen.com but I found the focus mark in the centre of the split image annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoacker wrote:
tardegardo wrote:

I'm very happy with the EE-S in my 5D I (got a 1.8/135 as well Wink). For the 5D II that would be the EG-S. I once tried a split image screen from focussingscreen.com but I found the focus mark in the centre of the split image annoying.

I'll give it a try then, thank you! I've heard that it should be used only on very wide open lenses. Do you mount it only in combination with the 135/1.8? What happens if I keep it with my 24-105f/4?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If have the EE-S in the 5D all the time as I only use manual focus lenses with this camera. The slowest manual lens I use ist the MIR-20m with a maximum aperture of 3.5. The screen is fine with that lens, too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoacker wrote:
If have the EE-S in the 5D all the time as I only use manual focus lenses with this camera. The slowest manual lens I use ist the MIR-20m with a maximum aperture of 3.5. The screen is fine with that lens, too.

+1, viewfinder is a bit darker but focusing is much more accurate with large aperture lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Eg-D focusing screen with grid and I find it fine with all my MF lenses, including large apertures (f:1.2, 1.4, 1.5).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, back to the topic, I managed to mount the porst on my 5dmk2 and on the e-pl2 too!
Pics are really nice, on m4/3 the 135mm become 270mm, pretty hard to focus, but it seems sharp at F/1.8 too.
I have also a Porst 55mm 1.4. It seems nice too. Sharp images and vivid colors. I could test the 55mm only on the e-pl2 because on the 5dmk2 the mirror hits the lens; and I could test it only at f1.4 since the aperture ring is broken…!

Last edited by tardegardo on Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can test it on the 5D² by using liveview (mirror is up when in liveview mode).
Just don't forget to switch back the lens before going out of liveview mode.

Some large aperture lenses working fine on 5D² : Nikkor 55mm S.C f:1.2 and Nikkor 50mm S.C. f:1.4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
You can test it on the 5D² by using liveview (mirror is up when in liveview mode).
Just don't forget to switch back the lens before going out of liveview mode.

Some large aperture lenses working fine on 5D² : Nikkor 55mm S.C f:1.2 and Nikkor 50mm S.C. f:1.4

Grat tips!
thanks!