Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 30mm M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 30mm M42 Reply with quote

Seems a common lens , but I found a very few posts here taken with this lens. Any opinion ? Is there anybody who is still have it ?

Last edited by Attila on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the same lens as the Pentacon 2.8/29?
I have given one of those to a very good friend of mine.
Perhaps I can ask him to shoot some shots with it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think i have it, but don't have all my gear here right now ... Will check tomorrow ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that Pentacon 30mm 3.5 is the old Meyer Lidith en not the same as Pentcon 29mm 2.8 (old Meyer Orestegon). I know Praktica 28mm 2.8 electric (from Sigma) and another Praktica 28mm 2.8 that gives me no idea from where it comes. Maybe there more variations?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Is that the same lens as the Pentacon 2.8/29?

Nope, it's different and smaller lens. Pentacon 2.8/29 = Meyer-Optik Orestegon 2.8/29 and Pentacon 3.5/30 = Meyer-Optik Lydith 3.5/30. I have both but don't use them. They have both same characteristics. Sharp center and very low CA, but soft corners, even stopped down to f11 on APS-C. Still the older Pentacon/Lydith 3.5/30 seems better to me. But both provide nice Meyer colors rendering.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentacon 30/3.5 is a nice vintage lens which is usually of consistent quality. Martin Smith posted some lovely pictures with his a while back in the gallery Smile The 29/2.8 is an auto lens and the copy variation is incredible...you're far more likely to get a lemon that a good one! I went through seven copies before I found one with four decent corners Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one, and I've said before on the forum that I love the colour rendition, the colours really shine out from this lens.

But I have to agree with BRunner, there's a lot of softness going on.

I keep going back to it and trying it, I want it to give me good pictures, but ultimately it's a frustrating lens. Which is sad, there's 'nearly' a great little lens for very little money.

But sometimes it surprises me, this picture is straight out of the K10 with the Pentacon 30.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot's of answer many thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
The Pentacon 30/3.5 is a nice vintage lens which is usually of consistent quality. Martin Smith posted some lovely pictures with his a while back in the gallery Smile The 29/2.8 is an auto lens and the copy variation is incredible...you're far more likely to get a lemon that a good one! I went through seven copies before I found one with four decent corners Laughing

I don't have the Pentacon, but I do have the Lydith if that's what you were thinking of.

If the Pentacon is the same them it's a great lens and one of my favourites.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens for near distance portraits.
Very sharp in the middle but has soft edges.
Good colour rendition, very smooth bokeh.
Sharp stopped down.
Very recommendable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

I don't have the Pentacon, but I do have the Lydith if that's what you were thinking of.

If the Pentacon is the same them it's a great lens and one of my favourites.

Ah yeah, same things!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this 30/3,5 pentacon from member here, itsn't arrived yet. But I have the meyer lydith 30/3,5 in exa mount. here's the sample
I agree with martinsmith If the pentacon has same quality, then its good lens I think.