Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon AT-1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Canon AT-1 Reply with quote

I just bought a Canon AT-1 off of Ebay. It was as is so it's a gamble. I'm normally at about 99% buying cameras this way. They either work perfectly or need very minor repair.
We will see if my gamble pays off. $6.80 for the camera and $6.80 shipping.= $13.60.

Anyone on here using an At-1?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's working properly you'll really like it. Nice bright viewfinder with a good microprism/split image rangefinder - shames most DSLRs!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am Smile. As Stephen said. Simple, sturdy and reliable. It features a basic metering system, match and needle, center weighted pattern. I find it very immediate. I have other bodies with a whole lot of features, which I use profitably, but sometimes I feel the need of simplicity and then I come back to the AT-1. The numbers: ASA setting 25-3200, shutter speeds 2"-1/1000" + B, sync at 1/60". It runs on 1 PX-28/544 6V battery which lasts years and is still available. If needed it can be motorized with power winder A or A2. For the price paid you can't go wrong. If you need a lens to go with the 50mm f1.8 is excellent and it's sold for peanuts.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile I will report back after I get it. Hopefully it's a good one.
I will keep an eye out for the 50mm f1.8.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have an AT1 once, sadly sold it to fund other things. However, remember it well and with fondness, simple manual focus and NO fancy lights buzzing up and down to confuse you. Go for an FD 1.4 50mm lens if you can afford one otherwise the 1.8 is a good reliable lens and much much less costly.
Dont bother with the auto winder unless you have a lazy thumb as at the most it only manages 2fps which is neither here nor there. Spend the money you'll save on another FD lens like a 28 or a 135.
Above all....enjoy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AT-1 and like it better than the AE-1 or A-1 cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trev wrote:
Spend the money you'll save on another FD lens like a 28 or a 135.

The FD 28mm is an excellent lens, and inexpensive. I use it on my AE-1. I wonder if the AT-1 has the same "shutter squeak" issue as the AE?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moose10101 wrote:
I use it on my AE-1. I wonder if the AT-1 has the same "shutter squeak" issue as the AE?
It might happen. As far as I know the problem is common to the whole A-series. Just a lack of lubrication in my knowledge. Having that said I own two of them and none is affected so far.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AT-1 is the only A-series Canon that has both the shutter speed and aperture coupled to the meter. I've always thought of it as the A-series version of the FTb. Great little camera, and probably my favorite of the lot of the A-series. The only thing I wish it had was a metering pattern closer to the FTb's -- that is, with more of the metering concentrated in the center of the image, rather than Canon's problematic "center-weighted averaging" pattern, which is very prone to being affected by stray light within the frame.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the FTb's also. Smile
I only have 1 Canon lens it's a FD 135 3.5. But I have a Sun made Soligor in 28 2.8 and 135 2.8 in FD.
I do have 6 other lenses in Y/S or T mount that I can use tho.

So my first lens I will buy will be either the 50 1.8 or 50 1.4. Then I need to save up for an 85mm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Walter, considering how cheaply FTbs can be had nowadays, I'd recommend you add one to your collection. The last one I bought, I won at eBay. Basically it was the rear lens cap to a lens I wanted -- a Vivitar S1 24-48 zoom. I paid $40 for the outfit. Cool The FTb was in serious need of cleaning and light seal replacement, which I did.

I recommend the FTb over the AT-1 for mostly one reason -- the metering pattern. The FTb, like the old F-1, has a rectangle in the middle of the focusing screen that occupies about 12% of the viewfinder area. Metering occurs ONLY within that rectangle. So if there are bright light sources outside the rectangle -- say like reflections off chrome, for example -- they will not affect exposure readings. I will even position my camera's metering rectangle in various ways against a scene before exposure to do some meter averaging, the better to evaluate optimum exposure. This has worked very well, and often precludes the need for a spot meter.

As for batteries for the old FTb, this isn't an issue. The 675 hearing aid batteries are cheap and work just fine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second that sentiment and dont forget the WEIN series of batteries, which admittedly cost more but do last longer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trev wrote:
Second that sentiment and dont forget the WEIN series of batteries, which admittedly cost more but do last longer

I wonder about that. Both the 675 and Weins are Zinc-air batteries. I installed a 675 in my FTb back in October of last year. I checked its voltage just now with a multimeter: 1.37v. So, in 10 months time, the battery has lost 0.03 volts. Not too bad, considering I can buy at least six 675s for the price of one Wein.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I have 675 batteries, because a couple of my cameras use them.
So that's one more bonus.I think I will keep an eye out for a FTB as a backup.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the camera today. By the pics I knew it was a nice looking camera. I'm shocked by how nice it is. It looks even better then the photos.

I bought a battery and installed it. The camera seems to work perfectly.
Tomorrow I will put in a roll of film and give it a try.

Pics of camera later tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot woot! Pics!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few quick pics. It has a little dust inside I need to carefully clean, but here it is. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it will be a nice day tommorow so I can go out and shoot. It's raining. Completely checked out the camera and it works as it should.
Nice viewfinder on these cameras. I think it will be a pleasure to use.