Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Whoops....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Whoops.... Reply with quote

Tried to resist but too many people convinced me (including most of all my wife).

Maybe I'll keep it longer than the mki.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uber LOL! Great purchase Martin, to say I'm jealous would be an understatement Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a surprise !! Missed FF Martin ?

Enjoy it, i'm not jealous , since i have a 5D Cool
I surely will get 5D2 one day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, your wife convinced you? Laughing

and congrats! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, wife has been on about it since before I got the mki. It's the reason I've been selling my kit the last few weeks to soften the blow.

Simon - Missed FF but didn't miss the mki. After using the 40D it was hard using older technology. And when I started using the 40D in favour of the 5D that signaled its demise. Not to mention the dust. Where the hell does it come from? Anyway, I'm ranting. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta show this to my wife........ Thanks. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Martin and welcome to the club ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see that as a 'Whoops!,' but as an 'Awesome!.'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great!
Still missing the funds to get one.... Crying or Very sad

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
That's great!
Still missing the funds to get one.... Crying or Very sad

Klaus

well, I guess, I will have the funds soon Laughing Laughing Laughing

Click here to see on Ebay

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure it will do the amount for it ! Very Happy
Congrats !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it, just sent out my order for the 5d MarkII.

Can't wait to get it.

Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Klaus! your lenses will shine even more

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope that beast is not to complicate in use for me. You know, just used to the more simple (and agreeable) structured Sigma cameras. And to old to read manuals (I know, I will have to...!)

Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I like about the Canons is the menu system. Welcome to the club!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Klaus,

I look forward to your thoughts on the 5DII after shooting with Sigma.

I have been agonizing over whether to get a second body that will give me better ISO and faster writes, a Canon is the obvious choice for my lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the 2 big names, Canon makes more sense due to register distance.

Image files are huge out of the mkii. It does have 3 settings for Raw files which is very useful if you don't intend making posters. The middle setting gives just under 10mp which is what I tend to use.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was remiss of me not to congratulate you as well Martin Embarassed

Congratulations Very Happy

I have been lucky enough to use both a 5DII & 1DSIII with one or two of my lenses. I loved the viewfinders, such a major benefit over the Sigma.

I must say i am partial to the Foveon sensor, i would love Canon or Nikon to follow their lead and produce some kind of multi layer sensor. The MP race surely can't keep going on Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Out of the 2 big names, Canon makes more sense due to register distance.

Yes, I agree! When changing to another brand, it was clear for me to choose one with the best lens-changing versatility.

Still waiting for my new toy!

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While waiting...
does anyone have experiences with the 5DII and the Leitz Elmarit 2,8/19mm, first version? Will it work?

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a great resource for you.

http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Leica_db.html

Some further comments from that site...

#

Leica 19mm F2.8 Elmarit-R (available at B&H Photo)
#

Applies to the Canon 1Ds Family, Canon 1D Family and 5D Family
#

The second version Leica 19mm F2.8 Elmarit-R requires extreme “surgery”. In terms of optical performance, the second version is the one you want - and it costs much, much more than the original 19mm. The original 19mm is probably a good lens for the 19mm look, but if seeking sharp corners, the second version is a better choice.
#

Some owners have modified the 19mm Elmarit’s rear housing by grinding it down approximately 2mm. Not the entire rear housing has to be ground, just lower half which catches the mirror as the mirror swings up. If you want to learn more about this, check www.fredmiranda.com “Alternative Digital Systems & Lenses” forum. For this particular lens modifying the Canon’s mirror may be a better option. The earlier 19mm F2.8 Elmarit does fit the Canon bodies without modification.
#

It is pretty easy to realize I am conservative when it comes to lens modifications. This is on purpose. This site presents the information, makes the “safe” recommendation - and then the reader can decide just how far they are willing to go. In the case of the Leica 19mm Elmarit - the safe route is buy one which as already been modified. Then do come up from time to time on Ebay on FredMiranda.com. Let somebody else take the risk - and you enjoy the benefit. So in case you missed the warning - PebblePlace.com does NOT recommend grinding your lens into the ground!
#

Also, Zeiss recently released the Zeiss 18mm F3.5 Distagon ZE. The new Zeiss lens costs less than a used Leica 19mm Elmarit-R, so I would pick a new ZE avoid all the hassle. One last possible option is a Nikon dSLR or Sony dSLR with the Leitax adapter kits. For more about Sony dSLRs and Leica lenses, click here, and here for Nikon.
#

•Leica 24mm Elmarit-R
#

Applies to the Canon 1Ds Family, Canon 1D Family and 5D Family
#

The Leica 24mm Elmarit-R does not clear the mirror and a lens modification is not possible. If you are willing to shave the mirror on your 1Ds or 5D, then maybe. Some options include the Canon 7D or other Canon EF-s dSLR. The EF-s bodies have smaller mirrors, so there are no clearance problems. An alternative to the 24mm Elmarit-R is the 28mm F2.8 Elmarit-R which receives very favorable reviews. (Continued on the next page)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, thank you very much!!!
Already have the 19mm Elmarit, first version, so right now, I#m not trying to get another one. Good news, that it works.
Have that 24mm one, too. So this seems to be on the road to evilbay.

Just received the 5DII and to my pity, I will have to leave home now, without playing with it.

Greetings
Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some time to play with my new toy and I like it.
Great viewfinder, much bigger than with the Sigma crop DSLR, ok, that was no surprise.
Pretty loud shutter, compared with the Sigma, when using normal shutter.
Way to much possible settings (my fault, maybe to old Laughing )
I like the live view possibility for manual critical focussing.
Tried my Olympus 1,2/55, 2/90 on the 5D with an unchipped adapter.
And my Summilux 50 and 80 and the 19mm Elmarit with chipped adapter. The Elmarit is perfect on a crop camera, but full-frame, it is maybe not so good.
Surprisingly good is the Olympus 1,2 at f2.
The Canon software is a bit awkward to use, but I guess, I will upgrade my Photoshop or lightroom for that.

Greetings
Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Short walk between some rain showers Reply with quote

Short walk with my 5DII with Olympus 1:1,2 55mm.
Dull weather, cloudy. No art-shots, just a bit of playing with the camera.

1:1,2:

100% crop:

1:2:

100% crop

1:2:

100% crop:

No sharpening, just out of the camera. I think the Olympus is a nice lens to use on the Canon. At 1,2 it is a bit dreamy, but sharp at 2.

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having only owned Canon DSLRs I didn't have any issues with the options. I did have to check the manual to see how to turn the live view on though. It's nice to see it has it's own button now. Cool