Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DSLR for Pentax Takumar M42 lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: DSLR for Pentax Takumar M42 lenses Reply with quote

The older I get (I'm nearly 50), the harder it is for me to focus my mf lenses. I wear glasses and I've had my eyes tested recently and my current prescription is fine.
At the moment I use a Canon 10D DSLR for my takumar lenses. I now want to change it for a new higher resolution camera. I'm drawn towards a Pentax model because of their internal shake reduction and because I've been told that a Pentax is the best match for my Pentax lenses.
My biggest priority is ease of focusing and compatibility with my lenses. Could anyone with experience of Pentax DSLR's give me some advice?
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar I am a stout believer that Pentax dSLRs are the best for using M42 lenses, it is the system with the biggest sensor / smallest crop factor stabilizing old manual lenses, only a simple mechanical adapter needed and the lenses fit snugly on the camera. Viewfinders are relatively big and bright, by now very precise focus confirmation, decent metering of M42 lenses.

However a FF camera will have a much bigger and brighter viewfinder and thus sure should be the better option still

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Edgar, I use the Taks mainly with a Pentax K200D. Good all around cam with focus light and not very expensive.

Here few samples with a Helios 44-2 lens

http://www.foto-bochum.net/Historical-Equipment/Lens-Helios-44-2-f258/8951294_ZDbkG#594583449_hdvry

and here with Tak 4/200mm on Pentax K200D

http://www.foto-bochum.net/Events/Ruhr-Reggae-Festival-Summer/9070571_hvUjN#604003244_RgtMZ

Wink

Last edited by Rolf on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
However a FF camera will have a much bigger and brighter viewfinder and thus sure should be the better option still

As long as you've got those Taks that can be used on a 5D.

I would otherwise opt for the K7 or the K-x. Andreas has pointed out the reasons already.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
kuuan wrote:

As long as you've got those Taks that can be used on a 5D.

I would otherwise opt for the K7 or the K-x. Andreas has pointed out the reasons already.

I must admit, I'm very interested in the K-x. Do you know whether the focusing screen is interchangeable with a split image type? Off course, if I eventually choose a K-x, that throws up another problem - what colour does one choose? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Edgar I am a stout believer that Pentax dSLRs are the best for using M42 lenses, it is the system with the biggest sensor / smallest crop factor stabilizing old manual lenses, only a simple mechanical adapter needed and the lenses fit snugly on the camera. Viewfinders are relatively big and bright, by now very precise focus confirmation, decent metering of M42 lenses.

To obtain open aperture metering on a K-x with M42 lenses do I need an adapter with or without a flange?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Well Edgar, I use the Taks mainly with a Pentax K200D. Good all around cam with focus light and not very expensive.

Here few samples with a Helios 44-2 lens

http://www.foto-bochum.net/Historical-Equipment/Lens-Helios-44-2-f258/8951294_ZDbkG#594583449_hdvry

and here with Tak 4/200mm on Pentax K200D

http://www.foto-bochum.net/Events/Ruhr-Reggae-Festival-Summer/9070571_hvUjN#604003244_RgtMZ

Wink

Is the focus light on the K200D accurate with M42 lenses or do you use a split image screen?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:

I must admit, I'm very interested in the K-x. Do you know whether the focusing screen is interchangeable with a split image type? Off course, if I eventually choose a K-x, that throws up another problem - what colour does one choose? Rolling Eyes

I am using K-x and installed a Katz Eye split focus screen.
On Pentax K10D / K20D / K-7 the change is more straight forwards as it is made to be interchangeable, on the K100D / K200D / K-x it is a bit more difficult, you can download the installation guide pdf and have a look: http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--Focusing-Screen-Installation-Guides--guides.html

the color...well..

DigiChromeEd wrote:
To obtain open aperture metering on a K-x with M42 lenses do I need an adapter with or without a flange?

hm, metering only will be done with the lens stopped down to desired aperture which darkens the viewfinder. Usual method is to open up the lens for bright viewfinder / focusing, then to stop down, next do the metering by pressing the 'green button' and then release
( alternatively Av mode, which saves pressing the green button, can be used, but is less accurate, need varying dail in of exposure compensation depending on aperture chosen )

so the flange won't help for open aperture metering.

there are adapters with an 'inner' flange which will press the pin on the lens which have pin but no M/A switch, thus enabling stopping down the lens.
there are adapters with an 'outer' flange which introduce more distance between lens and mount, they should be avoided because they will disable infinity focus.

All Super, S-M-C and SMC Takumars have A/M switch which must be put to M, old presets do not have pin nor switch, some Auto Taks do have pin but no switch but a lever to push open instead, in short for none a flanged adapter is required. The original Pentax adapter does not have any flange

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo Edgar,
you need an adapter ring with every kynd of DSRL to use M42 lens.
Pentax is the best choice for me for stabilization on camera (that can helps you with all lenses), for colors and for a filological choice.
For simple focusing, the best Pentax is K7 (100% of viewfinder coverage). K-x take the best pictures with high ISO setting, *istD is the first DSRL that pentax made and is the best choice for price/qulity interaction.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have just acquired the K200D,I like it.The focus for me is faster than what I can do with a manual camera Very Happy It is heavy and weather sealed.
I have been reading through these "stickys" on the pentax forum site
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/
They run through issues with the K-x,K200D and many other DSLRs and the use of the "green button".
Here is the katzeye quotes for pentax focus screens
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pentax-DSLRs--cat_pentax.html

It's hard choosing which camera but once you chose... Cool Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: DSLR for Pentax Takumar M42 lenses Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
The older I get (I'm nearly 50), the harder it is for me to focus my mf lenses. I wear glasses and I've had my eyes tested recently and my current prescription is fine...

hey, I just turned 50, my eyes have turned bad, +2.5 for reading, no glasses for distance but I see double image.
the only time I see 'sharp' is, after focused achieved, through the viewfinder Idea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a few months from 50 also ! Odd isn't it ?

I have +10 glasses AND bifocals.

Anyway, I've also got a K-x and a K100D

The stabilization is a wonderful thing indeed, it makes the use of long lenses an entirely different game.

The diopter adjustment on both is the same and very necessary for ancient characters like us. It works very well for me.

The focus confirm seems to be better on the K-x than the K100D, but it isn't perfect by a long shot. It takes some practice to get a feel for when you are really in focus.

The argument for a flanged M42 adapter on these Pentax DSLR's is to connect some of the metering contacts on the front plate. If this isn't done there can be metering problems. I am not sure this is true.

If I use an M42 with the flush-mounted adapter (like the original Pentax M42-PK) I have to put in +2 or +3 EV.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Hi
I have just acquired the K200D,I like it.The focus for me is faster than what I can do with a manual camera Very Happy It is heavy and weather sealed.
I have been reading through these "stickys" on the pentax forum site
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/
They run through issues with the K-x,K200D and many other DSLRs and the use of the "green button".
Here is the katzeye quotes for pentax focus screens
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pentax-DSLRs--cat_pentax.html

It's hard choosing which camera but once you chose... Cool Very Happy

Thanks for the links Mo Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In body shake reduction is brilliant.
I bought the K-x for my daughter and the results are great with old lenses.
So far I have 4 K-M42 adapters (flush mount) that live on my favourite Takumars Smile
Metering can vary but is easy to correct.
Using old preset aperture lenses is sweet in Av

Sexy beast Smile

Have fun
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: DSLR for Pentax Takumar M42 lenses Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
The older I get (I'm nearly 50), the harder it is for me to focus my mf lenses. I wear glasses and I've had my eyes tested recently and my current prescription is fine.

I'm further over the hill here Smile
I stuck a split prism focusing screen in my K100D and it is the bomb for manual focusing. Katzeye or ebay jobs are available. I cut down a Pentax MG screen myself. Smile
Pete