Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cyclops went walkabout
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Cyclops went walkabout Reply with quote

Learnt a few things when I managed to go walkabout with this Russian nightscope lens... (Helios(?) 85mm f1.5)

In bright light, even 1/8000s ISO 100 may not be good enough Sad
I find getting the focus right VERY difficult Sad
It does flare, but not excessively.
It doesn't seem to be that sharp at long distances.

Despite my mediocre talent, it's still a fun lens though Smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48607572@N04/sets/72157624626899247/

On a Canon 5D?)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you use an ND4 to take it down to 1/2000s? that would solve the first problem?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacob12_1993 wrote:
Could you use an ND4 to take it down to 1/2000s? that would solve the first problem?

Yes, that's certainly going to work. Need to get one for really bright sunshine, they are quite inexpensive on ebay.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you using the tin foil at all?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Were you using the tin foil at all?

Hi Woodrim, no it's too delicate, I was just strolling around with the lens naked, snapping away Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then in that case, you did pretty well getting some in excellent focus. There was at least one where I would have thought you "stopped down" a bit. But there were several that I believe are superb examples of the lens' unique characteristics. You seemed to have a good idea of how to use it to advantage, I'm impressed.

Some appear very sharp, although I have done no pixel peeping. I wonder if your comment about distance might be due to going past infinity. I have that problem with several of my adapted lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Well then in that case, you did pretty well getting some in excellent focus. There was at least one where I would have thought you "stopped down" a bit. But there were several that I believe are superb examples of the lens' unique characteristics. You seemed to have a good idea of how to use it to advantage, I'm impressed.

Some appear very sharp, although I have done no pixel peeping. I wonder if your comment about distance might be due to going past infinity. I have that problem with several of my adapted lenses.

It does focus well past infinity, so had to take that into account, but even so, can't seem to get a good inifity picture. Must try harder!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
woodrim wrote:

It does focus well past infinity, so had to take that into account, but even so, can't seem to get a good inifity picture. Must try harder!

Well, resting on my windowsill and concentrating ultra hard, I got this shot. A bit weird outside of center! Rather than CA, there seems to be quite a lot of a sort of "glow" around the lighter colours?

Resized to 1024 wide

100% crop center

100% crop right

100% crop left

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: the Glow of the Cyclops Reply with quote

The glow you mentioned reminds me strongly of the typical glow of the Auto Mamya Sekor 50/1.4, when taking a pic with the lens fully open.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats another characteristic of a fast lens wide open. I think it's referred to as ghosting.