Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some advice about lens aquisition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Some advice about lens aquisition Reply with quote

I am in the process in buying some lenses and would like some advice
Vivitar 24/2.0
Soligor Makro-Zoom 28-200
Rokkor 35-70/3.5
Rokkor 28/2.8
Pancolar 50 1.8 - Found on this forum that this lens is quite good

they seem cheap but I don't want to throw my money on the window for useless stuff.
Many thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Some advice about lens aquisition Reply with quote

sadness wrote:
I am in the process in buying some lenses and would like some advice
Vivitar 24/2.0
Soligor Makro-Zoom 28-200
Rokkor 35-70/3.5
Rokkor 28/2.8
Pancolar 50 1.8 - Found on this forum that this lens is quite good

they seem cheap but I don't want to throw my money on the window for useless stuff.
Many thanks in advance.

I leave it to the vastly more experienced members to direct you, but wish you good luck. Just make sure you limit it those few, otherwise LBA is a certainty Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your list, the Vivitar 2/24 and the Pancolar are surely rated the highest.
Rokkors are also nice lenses but can (with surgery) only be used on 4/3rds cams.
I had some very nice Soligor zooms but not that one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replyes.

The Pancolar I bought already, the iris was stuck I took it apart but I want to clean the glass too. I have some wipes for cleaning glasses but don't know if they are ok for cleaning the lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any on your list so cannot opine on them. However, I do have a Vivitar 24/2.8 & it is a very nice close focusing lens that will produce a 1:5 "macro".

I wonder why you would want both a 24 & 28mm lens, the difference is very little.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the list of lenses I can buy from a local dealer and want to decide which is best in terms of quality.
I will buy either one of 24 and 28.

I can say I am attracted by the 2 zooms, especialy 28-200, but don't know if they are worth the money.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will get different opinions, and this is mine. First, I wouldn't bother with zooms; fixed focal lengths are better quality. I use zooms on occasion, but only newer ones of better quality and also AF. The Vivitar 24mm is a good lens and f/2 is even more attractive - at the right price. The Rokkor lenses are good, but as LucisPictor said, they will be a problem fitting. I would also recommend looking only for M42 threaded lenses for easy conversion, unless you have a 4/3, SONY NEX, or something like the Nikon or Pentax that can accept some older mounts.

I started to do mount conversions but didn't get very far along before I determined that it was cheaper to find the M42 versions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the rokkor 28/2.8 but the plain MD 28/2.8. On m4/3, it's just average, nothing special. I also have the Vivitar/Komine 28/2.8 (NON cf version) and from f/4 and smaller, I think the Komine is sharper than the Minolta.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Viv 24 and the pancolar for sure. Both should be good performers.

I use a micro fiber cloth provided by my eyeglass shop to clean my lens. Dust them very good with either canned air or a camel hair brush and then use alchohol as a cleaner on the tougher spots. PS....cheap Vodka works very well. I also use a Swiffer dust cloth on the lens body. Works very good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Viv and Pan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
From your list, the Vivitar 2/24 and the Pancolar are surely rated the highest.
Rokkors are also nice lenses but can (with surgery) only be used on 4/3rds cams.
I had some very nice Soligor zooms but not that one.

+1 Soligor is risky.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies, I think I will go just for the Vivitar, the Pancolar is already mine.
The Vivitar is not m42 so it will need some modifications hope to manage the change ok.
I will post some pics as soon as I get them.