Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 Adapter for 5Dii
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: M42 Adapter for 5Dii Reply with quote

My M42 adapters are quite thin (fotodiox & BIG_IS) and allow my lenses to go a little past infinity. This wasn't a problem on thye 40D but on the 5Dii the S-M-C tak hits the mirror when the lens is set to infinity.

Can anyone recommend a decent, thick, adapter for the Tak?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M42-EOS adapter that was attached to my Zenitar 2.8/16 is the correct thickness, however the 5D1 mirror still hits some lenses, such as the 1.4/50 Takumars. Some have indicated the 5DII mirror has more clearance; there has been controversy whether that is true.

There are various lists of lenses which the mirror clears and which get hit, such as the list here on MFlenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No help here, but maybe that answers my question on why the Vivitar 28/2.5 is reported not to work on the 5D (MkI), while my copy works great. Maybe my adapter is a hair thicker than the one tested by the person who noticed that it didn't work.

Congratulations on a great camera, btw!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hopeful as when I focus to infinity I don't get a clonker but with the lens set to infinity which is miles past it just snicks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chap in Hong Kong I bought the C/Y adapter from Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
That chap in Hong Kong I bought the C/Y adapter from Smile

Thanks Graham, I'll try him.

NOW WHO THE $%£&"!!!!!!! ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT????

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="martinsmith99"]
ManualFocus-G wrote:

My guess is Happypage_hk, who is an excellent seller indeed Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up putting a few layers of sellotape on the adapter. Job done.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="eeyore_nl"]
martinsmith99 wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

My guess is Happypage_hk, who is an excellent seller indeed Smile

Yeah, that's the one! Laughing Laughing Laughing

martinsmith99 wrote:
I ended up putting a few layers of sellotape on the adapter. Job done.

Doh! Too late Laughing Glad you're sorted Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucket head!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my 1.4/50 Takumar on my 1DII today and it bonks the mirror on that too at infinity: wish I'd taken the Zeiss 50 - that's well behaved - but I might try the sellotape trick to shim up between adapter and lens.

Here's a funny thing, rifle shooter will often reach for a bit of film negative if shimming is needed between telescopic sights and the mounting rings, and here's me now reaching for the sellotape.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what adapter you're using but the 1.4/50 S-M-C Tak will reeach infinity after the sellotape is added.

The problem I've found is that most M42 > EOS adapters allow focus beyond infinity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

The problem I've found is that most M42 > EOS adapters allow focus beyond infinity.

And having sufferred many a disappointing 100 yards plus OOF failure yesterday, despite getting the AF beep, I'm inclined to think you're right. Which makes me ask what is the camera's processor registering when it gives the AF confirm beep?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never trust an AF chipped adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Never trust an AF chipped adapter.

Oh, that's nice - hit a man where it hurts - somewhere between his varifocals and a reliance on technology. Laughing Confused Laughing I don't see that many 'togs walking round with laser rangefinders or great lengths of string!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get the Canon screen for MFing. And also get the dust cleaned out of the view finder of that dust magnet known as the 5D.