Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recent acquisition: Sigma 200 f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Recent acquisition: Sigma 200 f/3.5 Reply with quote

I recently took ownership of a lovely Sigma 200 f/3.5 close focus lens from CarbonR here.

It took me a week to work out that the slight/y bulky push-on lens cap is, in fact, the reversed lens hood with the lens cap attached. Rolling Eyes So, having been a tad frustrated by flare I'm starting again.

Here in the meantime are a few images so far. I need to see how it sharpens up when stopped down and I must find the time to grab the tripod and my other 200mm lenses and do a back-to-back comparison. All in all though it's a very pleasing lens to handle and use, particularly because I quite like big chunky kit.

Actually I'm feeling guilty for not posting in a while.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good one to me. Do you have photos of the lens itself?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:

That's something else I need to do. There was a photo link through CarbonR's profile but appropriately that's no longer there.

Tomorrow, sir.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all look a little soft to me. However, that is pleasing to some whereas I like tack sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
They all look a little soft to me. However, that is pleasing to some whereas I like tack sharp.

And too much time spent with Canon L lenses and at certain other fora where tack sharp is virtually an entry requirement has affected the way I think too. That's partly why I play with MF lenses, to remind myself that there's more to an image than sharpness.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
That's partly why I play with MF lenses, to remind myself that there's more to an image than sharpness.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:

That's something else I need to do. There was a photo link through CarbonR's profile but appropriately that's no longer there.

Tomorrow, sir.

It is no longer in my sign, as the lens has been sold, but the topic is still in the marketplace Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
revers wrote:

And too much time spent with Canon L lenses and at certain other fora where tack sharp is virtually an entry requirement has affected the way I think too. That's partly why I play with MF lenses, to remind myself that there's more to an image than sharpness.

I agree 100%.