Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZ Vario Sonnar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: CZ Vario Sonnar Reply with quote

I am interested in the CZ as a possible walk around lens. I would like to keep the maximum mm to 100. And I can only use a c/y or T lens.
Any recommendations?
David

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're looking for a zoom lens? Contax Vario-Sonnar 35-70/3.4 or Vario-Sonnar 28-85/3.3-4 are the only two matching your specifications that are worth looking into. I have the 28-85, and it's a very nice one; heavy but sharp and contrasty. The 35-70 is lighter, supposed to be sharper stopped down, and has less geometric distortion than the 28-85. The price on the used market is very similar for both lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: CZ Vario Sonnar Reply with quote

davidhm wrote:
And I can only use a c/y or T lens.

"T*" is the name of the (very good) Zeiss lens coatings. It has nothing to do with the lens mount. I think this is why you got confused with the Contax N 28-80mm...

You can only adapt these Contax/Yashica zoom lenses to Canon:
Vario-Sonnar 3.3-4.0/28-85
Vario-Sonnar 3.4/35-70
Vario-Sonnar 3.5-4.5/28-70

The last one is cheapest and maybe a bit less impressive than the other two. It has a nice macro function like the 35-70 though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 35-70/3.4 is a very nice lens. Perhaps I don't full understand macro lenses but people complain that the lens only works as a macro at 35mm. But when using macro I don't find the focal length making much difference except for changing the working distance. But fov seems to be the same at a given magnification.