Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New idea!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: New idea! Reply with quote

Some weeks ago I was working at our VCT-booth at the "Hessentag" in Stadtallendorf (some kind of regional fair). One of the last things I did for the VCT (Virtual Centre for Teachertraining).

A neighbouring booth was run by some surveyors of the office for soil and land management. During a break I went to them and talked to them about their stuff which was mainly manufactured by Leitz (>Leica!).

I asked them if they had some discarded tripods, you know the ones that are huge and yellow and were formerly made from wood, just like the wood tripods by Berlebach.

Yesterday, one of the guys gave me a call and said that he has found something. So I went to his office and after donating a small amount for their Coffee Kitty, I came home with a fascinating monster:

This thing is huge! The cam you see on top is a Canon EOS 5D and a Tokina 2.6-2.8/28-70.

As a provisional solution I have attached an old chest monopod. I still need to figure out an optimal head solution.

Anyway, there are no vibrations whatsoever.

Perhaps an idea to copy?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you copied my idea! Laughing I've been wanting a transit tripod for a long time but haven't really pursued it; cheap glass is always so distracting. Laughing

Wow, those people were very generous. That is a nice example. Only need to find a thread adapter & can mount any camera tripod head. May I say the chest tripod head looks a bit silly, so tiny atop it? Laughing

How much does the beast weigh?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find. The thing looks sturdy enough to hold an LF camera Cool !
Definitely an idea to copy Smile .

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It disguises the camera very well...no one would take a 2nd look thinking you where using a theodolite. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good!!

it must be very stable!

tf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try asking the wife to carry that beast for you while on holiday!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:

I can just imagine the questions at baggage weigh in:

"You've got a tripod and it weighs HOW MUCH?"

"I'm sorry sir, that's classed as an offensive weapon, it 'll have to go in the hold, it cannot go as hand luggage."

"Sir, the last upteen photographers have all had black carbon fibre tripods: are you making some kind of personal statement?"

Yeah, come to think of it, what kind of statement are you making? hohoho!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kidding aside Laughing although big & sturdy they don't weight that much. After all surveyors haul these all over the Earth in rugged terrain... Wink

Spurred to look for mine I have found:

Surveyor Tripod Conversion
Stellarvue Heavy Duty Surveyor's Tripod TA w/ FREE UPS $139
and (!)
Surveyor Tripod Dark Walnut Finish Table Lamp

Last edited by visualopsins on Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

I can just imagine the questions at baggage weigh in:

"You've got a tripod and it weighs HOW MUCH?"

"I'm sorry sir, that's classed as an offensive weapon, it 'll have to go in the hold, it cannot go as hand luggage."

"Sir, the last upteen photographers have all had black carbon fibre tripods: are you making some kind of personal statement?"

Yeah, come to think of it, what kind of statement are you making? hohoho!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Move slowly and stand fast! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great finding, Carsten!

I was interested in the wooden tripods since I found this:

Homemade wooden tripods

But your finding is much better!. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Homemade wooden tripods

That's cool.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! They are great for LF cameras.

Jules