Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Exposure correction and saturation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Exposure correction and saturation Reply with quote

Anyone know a good link to how saturaton and exposure correction work together.

Better that this:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/camera-adjustments.htm

Here is the phenomenon. No colour adjustments done to the latter picture (because the stinkin' Kodak software doesn't have one, ok, it has but it is &%¤&).

EDIT: first one is much closer to reality colorwise but the shot is backlight.

This is straight from camera.

Tried to add some light and contrast but ended up "point-n-shooting" it:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These tutorials are for Photoshop, but operations are very similar in application using most PP softwares:

Using the Photoshop Levels Tool

Using the Photoshop Curves Tool

The other tutorials are also very good, such as the two "Understanding Histograms":

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

The free PP software GIMP at http://gimp.org has both Levels and Curves adjustments.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Curves tool in Paint Shop Pro X2. It probably works very similar to that in PS. Here are a couple of screen captures, showing the tool's window and before and after results. Very simple. I just trim a very small bit off each end of the histogram.

You'll notice that not only does it improve contrast (maybe just a touch too much actually) and saturation, it also eliminates much of the haze.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
You'll notice that not only does it improve contrast (maybe just a touch too much actually) and saturation, it also eliminates much of the haze.

Problem is, I want to add light (luminence?) and maybe contrast but not saturation.'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Problem is, I want to add light (luminence?) and maybe contrast but not saturation.'

PSPX2 has a "clarify" feature that boosts contrast and brightness but actually desaturates an image somewhat. I find it useful frequently. But it does have a tendency to make smooth toned areas blotch up around brighter objects. Notice the sky in this shot around the clouds. You'll also notice that, while it's still bumped up contrast and brightness to a degree, the image is not as saturated as the one I posted above.

I'm thinking that you should just plan on setting your contrast and brightness to where you want it -- using curves or levels or just the brightness/contrast menu, then go to the saturation menu and slightly desaturate the image. Nothing the matter with a two-step process. Hell, some of my more involved PPs will have a half-dozen steps or more to get what I want.