Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD W Rokkor 2/28mm on EOS 5D MKII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Minolta MD W Rokkor 2/28mm on EOS 5D MKII Reply with quote

Hi to all..

A new project was a conversion from Minolta to EOS mount. I did 3 conversion 2 x Rokkor MC/MD 1.7/85mm and this Minolta MD W Rokkor 2/28mm i will show in some samples..

The lens design did use a floating element and its IMHO one of the finest lenses Minolta ever made.. most shots at f2.. sharp as a knife with a very fine Bokeh..

This lens is a real gem..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine shots indeed. To my eyes the colours are a tiny bit muted, but sharp as you say!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look bad at all. The bokeh doesn't look much different from other 28/2 lenses I've seen. The best bokeh (including close-ups) I've seen is from the Nikkor 28/2 Ai-s. The bokeh of most fast wideangles is pretty crazy for closeups (in many cases).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

henry, I have this lens too and I like it a lot. My only issue with it is that it's a bit too big on my e-p1. I hope you don't mind that I post this image in your thread. It was taken with same lens with my e-p1:

AFAIR, it was OOC jpeg, just resized for web. I'm no photographer so my picture might lack on the technical side.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogolisk wrote:
AFAIR, it was OOC jpeg, just resized for web. I'm no photographer so my picture might lack on the technical side.

To my eyes, that picture is not lacking in any way. Wonderful image, beautiful child.

Henry: Congratulations. A great lens. I hope to regain use of my Rokkors some day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Fine shots indeed. To my eyes the colours are a tiny bit muted, but sharp as you say!

Its maybe only the given camera profile, no postprocessing anyway.. resizing for web.. didnt use a calibrated LCD and workflow. Only developed in DPP with camera profile and given to PS for resizing.

The colors are saturated..

@Bogolisk

Nice capture.. shows the power of this lens..

I like to see other pictures in my threads supporting the Pro and Cons of a lens. This is helpful to find out, if the copy is in good shape and work correct.

So feel free to post your material... Very Happy

To Big on your E-P1? Take another Cam.. Very Happy
On EOS 5D MKII this lens fits perfect...

Its a bit difficult to bring the lens to a normal EOS System..
ou have to machine down 0.5mm + Thickness of the new mount..
Thats the only way i found, because you need to keep some mechanical parts which are established in the old mount and can not transfer in a new mount. So the only way is to unscrew the silver shining part of the Minolta Mount with his 4 locking screws, machine down the block without the silver shining part of about 1.5mm. Dont cut off to much, because there are the mechanical parts take in place with screws.. and the have to be taken in place. Otherwise you destabilize the inner parts for the aperture on the inner side of the upper block.

Take a Rollei QBM to EOS Adaptor and also machine/file down to ~1mm thickness (as i did) or any other Adaptor (the tinest you can find). The Adaptor needs a large diameter hole... because the remaining Minolta mount is to wide for a M42 or other cheap adaptor.

In addition to that, you have to drill 3 new holes and cutting new threads..
for connecting the adaptor to the mount.

Cheers
Henry