Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 180mm f/2.8 ED
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Nikon 180mm f/2.8 ED Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

This is a really good deal, and likely won't last. If I wasn't so broke right now, I'd buy it. Those two scratches in the front element may look nasty, but let me tell you something -- they're nothing. My old 180/2.8 ED had a chip out of the front element and was still one of the sharpest lenses in my bag. Wish I had the spare bucks, I'd buy that lens in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen a few go cheap recently e.g. Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhyeah, well that one has enough marks to even give me pause.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratches and marks are far more of an issue if they're on the rear element. I'm not sure that many are fond of "scratchy" bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm aware of this, but if there is a snow scene of scratches on the front element, it's bound to degrade the image because of the addition of internal flare. My old 180 ED had just one big divot out of the front glass, and the rest was pristine. I've always felt that because the problem was localized, it was also minimized.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay'd less for one without scratches...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Yeah, I'm aware of this, but if there is a snow scene of scratches on the front element, it's bound to degrade the image because of the addition of internal flare. My old 180 ED had just one big divot out of the front glass, and the rest was pristine. I've always felt that because the problem was localized, it was also minimized.

Yes, the flurry of scratches on the front element may induce more flare issues when pointed towards bright light sources, but I highly doubt they'd show up in images, as front element scratches (and chips and cracks) are far less significant with longer lenses.