Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

200mm f5.6 Tele-Takumar preset: A fun, cheap date!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: 200mm f5.6 Tele-Takumar preset: A fun, cheap date! Reply with quote

I snagged a Pentax Tele-Takumar 200mm f5.6 preset because it sounded like it had some nice reviews and only set me back $18 shipped. I used to think that faster = better, but I'm now learning that the slower lens designs have some very nice qualities for daylight and you don't need a fast lens in daylight. Here are a couple of quick test shots I took with it:

ISO 200

ISO 6400 handheld with 48mm Canon 450 achromat for close focusing

10 aperture blades make for some pretty nice bokeh when stopped down. It is also incredibly small for the focal length (49mm filters). I may be wrong, but I don't think that the Tele-Takumars ever had SMC coating, so use of a hood is recommended. (Both of these shots were hooded).

My lens looks pretty nice optically and cosmetically, but has some oil on the aperture blades. Fortunately, this is not an issue on a preset lens since it has no spring activated aperture. As cheap as this lens is, I highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the pics, nice bokeh!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, agree. for $18 lens, the result is pleased.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice examples. The wild honeysuckle in your part of the woods is in the same flowering stage as here Smile That Canon achromat does produce nice IQ imho. Takumar colors!

My copy of the 5.6/200 Tele-Takumar preset has coated elements, but definitely not S-M-C; the coatings reflects a color different from color reflected by coatings on Super-Takumars.

Weighs about 1lb. Compact, smaller than non-preset 3.5/135s(!). Goes hiking with me for those times when I want to pack light & have a long lens. On crop-cam gives quite narrow field of view.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought mine was cheap at US$29 shipped! The TT200/5.6 is an incredible gem, just 410g and oh so sharp. Depending on the day and my mood, I'll carry either it or a Meyer Telemegor 180/5.5 (250g, US$27) for a little reach. Either is a great backpacker's lens, but the TT200 just has that Takumar magic. Yes, a hood is mandatory.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this 6400 isos shot from the K-x ? It seems to be not so noisy Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. This lens is a gem and you got it for a very, very low price.
I paid for mine much more (Serial # 3870xxx). At enough light best bang for the money.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
Is this 6400 isos shot from the K-x ? It seems to be not so noisy Smile

Indeed! I am SOOOO happy with the K-x. Wonderful High ISO performance is just the beginning. That is an in-camera JPEG, no noise-reduction in post-processing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent lens, one you sure use better than I do Smile

My daughter shoots with her K-x at 6400 all the time... I'm jealous