Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlander 125mm APO SL-II canon EOS (convert to Nikon F)?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Voigtlander 125mm APO SL-II canon EOS (convert to Nikon F)? Reply with quote

Hello, I am wondering if it is possible to convert the above lens to a Nikon "F" mount plate? If it IS possible, would it still have the SL-II metering capabilities on the Nikon camera body? Also, I forgot to add, would it still retain infinity focus? Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way to perform such conversion. Sell your lens and buy one fits Nikon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!!! Well, better to learn of this now rather than later. Thank you, JOn.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few points to consider:
1. I don't think there is a SL II version of 125mm yet.

2. A nikon version of the same lens(ie. SL I version) will be difficult to source.

3. Buy a Canon and you can enjoy the lens fully. Furthermore, you will have a wider choice of MF lens to choose from(if you are in to trying other lens)

good luck,

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no SL II version of this lens. The Voigtländer SL 125/2.5 Macro APO Lanthar was manufactured in Canon FD and EF mount.

cheve wrote:
2. A nikon version of the same lens(ie. SL I version) will be difficult to source.

3. Buy a Canon and you can enjoy the lens fully. Furthermore, you will have a wider choice of MF lens to choose from(if you are in to trying other lens)

Any version of the 125/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar is difficult to source. They're all very rare, but the most common version is Nikon N/Ai-S (best information is 2200 to 2500 manufactured). Other mounts are from 750 to 1500 copies each.

Semi-pro or pro Nikon bodies (D200, D300, D2, D3) will meter even with unchipped lenses with non-Nikon bayonet, something which for some strange reason seems very hard for Canon system users to understand. I can do manual shooting and aperture priority shooting with the pre-war Biotar on my Nikon D3. If I want to have metering on also the lower end Nikon DSLRs, I can chip the lens. The chip costs 15 EUR and after some moderately easy DIY mill-n-drill the lens is equipped to give full metering just like I was using a more advanced Nikon DSLR model.

While it is true that due to register distance differences Canon bodies can take a larger amount of lens bayonets with adapter and reach infinity without an optical adapter, Nikon system users do not settle with less choice. Not only are Nikkors to my knowledge the most manufactured lens brand in photographic history (about 60 million Nikkors to date), the number of third party lens manufacturers who have manufactured lenses for Nikon mount takes care of the rest. Nikkors are made in so many versions (see http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html and count yourself) that any photographic need, wallet and quality requirement can be met by shopping Nikon's own lenses from the aftermarket.

I personally don't think swapping to another system is a good recommendation to give to anyone (regardless of what they are now shooting with). The cost involved in building up new matching lenses far outweighs reasonable and sound economics.

Furthermore, it is possible to convert a Canon FD mount Voigtländer Macro APO-Lanthar 125/2.5 to Nikon mount and achieve infinity. I know personally three Macro APO-Lanthar owners who have converted theirs to Nikon from FD mount. The fourth person I do not know personally, but this is what Google finds on the subject:

Quote:
I spent last night converting an 125mm APO Lanthar from Canon FD-Mount to Nikon F-Mount. The register film-plane distance is C-FD 42mm and N-F 46.5 so the difference is 4.5mm I hit that that spot on and i ended up with a lens that, as Bjørn [Rörslett] stated focuses 1 mm beyond infinity

That's quoted from Nikongear, Erik Lund wrote that

http://nikongear.com/smf/index.php?topic=20566.220

It's doable, but clearly not recommended unless you have tools and experience.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
While it is true that due to register distance differences Canon bodies can take a larger amount of lens bayonets with adapter and reach infinity without an optical adapter, Nikon system users do not settle with less choice. Not only are Nikkors to my knowledge the most manufactured lens brand in photographic history (about 60 million Nikkors to date), the number of third party lens manufacturers who have manufactured lenses for Nikon mount takes care of the rest. Nikkors are made in so many versions (see http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html and count yourself) that any photographic need, wallet and quality requirement can be met by shopping Nikon's own lenses from the aftermarket.

I missed the part about metering in the OP. My comment about getting a Canon is purely due to the fact that OP has EF mount version of the lens. It has nothing to do with Canon vs. Nikon. OP does not have to switch his entire system. He can treat the lens+cam combo as a special kit in his tool box along with his collection of other lenses and etc.

I am sure you are right that there are more native nikon mount lens available for modern nikon than native Canon mount lens for modern EOS(which takes EF mount only). However, my comment about wider lens choices was referring to adapting lens of other mount/system.

Cheers,