Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax K200D V K100D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Pentax K200D V K100D Reply with quote

Opinions please....I have had my eye on a Pentax Dslr for a while but I am still looking through the different models.Is there any advantage of the K200D over the K100D besides weather sealing.I have MF lenses no AF....I hate fence sitting and indecision but to outlay $400au + I would like to get the "right" camera first up.
I have read that the K200D does not produce good colors?,I have studied the Specs of both cameras and there seems to be very little difference between them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, besides the weather sealing, the K200D has a higher resolution (10Mpix vs 6Mpix), a dust removal system and an orientation sensor. The K100D looks better ( Very Happy ) and usually goes for quite a bit less.

Cannot comment on the colours since I have never actually had one of those, but that is the first time I hear it.

Edit: I forgot: The K200D's LCD is a little big bigger and has a little bit higher resolution.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,The K200d I am looking at now is going for the price a K100D and kit lens usually goes for on Oz ebay...on a good day.I should just bite the bullet and get the darn thing and throw caution to the wind!
I would really like to know about the MF lenses and how they work on it,if there is any problems out of the ordinary?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally bit the bullet and bought the K200D so I guess I will find out soon enough Very Happy I hope no buyers remorse will come.... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what lenses exactly you are talking about.

As you probably already know, the Pentax' register distance is a little bit longer than, for example, Canon's, which makes it impossible to use C/Y, OM, Leica R and several other mounts' lenses with a simple adapter and being able to focus to infinity.

For M42 lenses, you will need an adaptor that sits inside the camera's mount and therefore is a bit more fiddly to remove. There may be problems with lenses that do not have an M-A-switch, but that is easy to resolve with a little, non-destructive modification to the lens or a special adapter with an inner flange.

When it comes to K-mount lenses, you will have to use the "Green Button" (might also be the AE-L button on the K200D, not sure right now) in manual mode to make the camera stop down and meter. AV mode is only possible wide open.
KA-mount lenses, on the other hand, are fully compatible and offer any functions that today's lenses do - except for AF, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your K200D Mo. Pop over to the Pentax forum and you should find all the information you need including what to do with the settings for manual focus lenses. Otherwise perhaps a read of the manual.
Enjoy and I'm looking forward to seeing your first pics.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the M42- k mount original adapter,I have most lenses with the A/M switch and I am sure I will now be hunting a few AF lenses.I have a few lenses with the M42 pin removed so I think I have most things covered...now just the joy of seeing what I can do without the cost of film and developing. Very Happy Although I will still use the film I have in the fridge and freezer...best of both worlds!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John...it's been a long time coming...and not so easy to take the leap, into which Pentax digital to buy.So many choices!
Hey I am looking forward to my first pics.... Laughing Hope I can do it justice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can tell you one thing: auto rikenon 55/1.4 is VERY good with K200D (i have both Smile)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bob...I may be asking you some questions Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANY LENS is better with a Pentax !

Just my unbiased opinion ...

Good luck !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Just received it...so beautiful and it packs some weight!! now to work out how to use my MFlenses with it!
I already have one question lined up to ask if I can not find it in the instruction book Embarassed

It is my first Pentax camera!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo Hoo! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:

I already have one question lined up to ask if I can not find it in the instruction book Embarassed

It is the silver button on the top right! You have to look through the little, glassy rectangle on the back of your camera and then press the silver button to take pictures!

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8310 wrote:
mo wrote:

It is the silver button on the top right! You have to look through the little, glassy rectangle on the back of your camera and then press the silver button to take pictures!

Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing A very helpful member Univer helped me with it and now I am off and snapping!!! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you finally did it, congratulations Mo!

I will be very glad trying to answer any questions you may have ( though I do not have the K200D )
Sure you went through the basic set up for manual lenses for your camera, yes? here it is again the useful guide made for the K100D:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=24921509

have fun,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kuuan...I chose this over the K-x as it was basically brand new with all it's bits and pieces for just over half the price of the K-x...the weather sealing sold it to me the most. Very Happy
I have got the hang of the manual,it was really a case of knowing what the green button was for and hey it all works! Very Happy Now for some fine tuning....and I should have some examples.
I even found I have a "Fn" button (this appeals to my sense of humor Very Happy ) I think every camera should have one..."where is the Fn button"???My apologies to any I offended with that poor joke! Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice camera Smile
Last in the line using the K10D sensor, the most sorted iteration apparently
Bit more resolution than the K100D
Have fun
Pete