Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Different versions of Mamiya 55/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Different versions of Mamiya 55/1.8 Reply with quote

I found there are at least 2 different versions of Mamiya 55/1.8 lens:

A mount of the second one looks exactly like mounts of some Yashika's lenses.
I aslo found a different Rikenon version of 55/1.8 lens. Don't know if it has the same origin though.

Are there any optical differences between these lenses?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Different versions of Mamiya 55/1.8 Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
I aslo found a different Rikenon version of 55/1.8 lens. Don't know if it has the same origin though.
Are there any optical differences between these lenses?

Yashica lenses are mainly tomioka (50mm) and tokina origin
Mamya lenses are depending on the period : Tomioka + Tokina + Sun/Osawa
Ricoh lenses are more various : Tomioka + Tokina + Sigma + Ricoh (to be confirmed) direct

I presume this lens is a tomioka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Though there is a great deal of external similarity these have different internals. I have heard of this difference, but I have not seen it.

There is a very great deal of similarity even in minor details among Yashica Mamiya and Ricoh lenses of the 1960's-early 1970's. So there must have been a common source or sources for many of them. No doubt there were multiple sources.

Hi PBfacts,

It does seem to be a complicated subject, made more complicated by the many changes over time. Perhaps its best to look at a fixed period to get a grasp of these.

Taking the year 1968, it seems to me that the following were the origins of the Mamiya and Yashica product lines of taht year -

Mamiya - for 500TL and 1000TL -

400mm - Tokina preset

28,35,135,200,300,90-230 zoom - Early Tokina Auto series in fixed M42 mounts, the same as those sold in T4 mounts in Soligor and Vivitar brands.

60mm macro - Tomioka without a doubt.

55/1.4 - probably Tomioka, or the base unit is Tomioka design made by whoever made them for Yashica and Ricoh.

50/1.4, 50/1.8, 50/2, 50/2.8, 55/1.8 - Tomioka ? Someone else ?
Some of these may be from a slightly later period, from when the DTL series was released.

Yashica - for the TL or TL Super (not electro) is more interesting than Mamiya -

600mm, 800mm - Kawakami/Kawanon

Yashinon-R presets 35,135,200,300,400 - Tokina preset series

Yashinon-DX 50mm's - Yashica (Tomioka?)

Yashinon-R preset 90-190 zoom - no idea

Yashinon-R preset 75-230 zoom - early Sigma ?

Yashinon-DX 35,100(rare),135,200, 80-160(rare) (sold at the same time as the presets) - Yashica (Tomioka?)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There's also a Super Yashinon-DX 135/2.8 preset (not Super Yashinon-R); to my eye at least, it doesn't immediately suggest "Tokina". (Apparently there's also a 35mm Super Yashinon-DX preset, but I've never seen that one.)

With respect to Mamiya: I'm aware of the 50/2.8, the 50/2, the 55/1.8, the 50/1.4 (that one was new to me when it popped up in a recent thread) and the 55/1.4, all dating, roughly, from the TL/DTL era, and all, so far as I know, with the "Auto" prefix. I think the 50/1.4 must have predated the 55/1.4, judging by the way the M/S name is used on its beauty ring: all caps and hyphenated (that seems to have been the standard usage in the CWP era; in the TL/DTL era, the standard usage seems to have been upper/lower case, with the hyphen replaced by a slash). Luis, was there really a 50/1.8 as well?

Cheers,

Jon