Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

quest: dismounting M42 lens from EF-mount body
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: quest: dismounting M42 lens from EF-mount body Reply with quote

All,

how do you prevent your lens from unscrew itself off the M42-to-EOS adapter when the lens and adapter is mounted on the camera body already?

I have both flanged and non-flanged type adapter off x-bay, and it is annoying whenever I try to dismount the M42 lens for lens of different mount.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I've never had that happen. I have two m42 lenses and they mount tightly on my adapter, so they will never unscrew when I simply want to take off the adapter from my Canon body. Does the adapter take a lot of force to unmount? I bought one m42 adapter with a mount that was so rough that I didn't want to mount it on my camera, I just threw it away.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue colored Loctite on the mount and they will not separate. Loctite can be purchased at an auto parts store.

Understand when you do this the lens will not come off the adapter.

DO NOT PUT LOCTITE ON YOUR CAMERA BODY, only put on the adapter where the lens screws in.

Last edited by mmelvis on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have problem with m42-eos adapter, but I have it with exakta-eos adapter. I just hold the proturing part of Exa lens with my finger to prevent it fall.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I consider this a feature; lets me change M42 lenses just like on Spotmatic. When I want to remove lens and adapter I just screw lens on a little harder, then both lens and adapter remove easily -- it doesn't take much more than enough to prevent unscrewing when focusing a lens with stiff helical.

Re: Locktite -- there are differing 'grades' some of which can be broken with minimal effort; suggest using the weakest 'grade', or maybe better, a few dabs rather than completely filling the entire circumference -- even the weakest 'grade' will hold very tightly if the entire circumference is filled.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All.

Thanks for your comments.

When screwing/mounting the lens to the adapter, I do not want to tighten too much -- fearing of damaging the threads on the lens(and I will be really "screwed"). This would be the reason why my lens unscrews itself from the adapter as I try to dismount it(ie. lens + adapter) from the camera. I don't want to glue the adapter to the lens, since I want to share the adapter with my other M42 lenses.

Currently, when I put the lens to adapter, I would stop turning the lens as soon as I feel there is some resistance. May be I just have to screw the thing in more tightly? How do you determine your M42 lens is screwed in properly?

I also have the same issue with my EXK adapter as well.

I am using objects like ball pen point with hard tip to dis-lodge the adapter off the camera. It works but not too satisfying Sad

Cheers,