Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two new acquisitions - advice / comments please
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Two new acquisitions - advice / comments please Reply with quote

I've just acquired a pair of old lenses for a very reasonable price and would like the expert brains here to comment on them please, particularly with regard to suitability for Canon DSLR mounting. I've just unpacked them and fired off some quick images for the record. I haven't even thought about cleaning them yet.
In both cases the glass appears to be scratch free and the lens came in a two-part plastic pot.

First up, Zeiss Ikon Pantar 1:4 f = 75mm made in Germany

Please, what is this mount and is there an EOS adapter available?

Secondly, here's a mouthful, Roeschlein-Kreuznach -E- telenar f/3.8 90mm

Plastic container is marked "Braun Nornberg". This is such an irresistibly pretty thing, the polished metal body looks like new with no wear or scratching. There is a threaded ring at the front of the lens body with a screw-out internal collar so whether this was originally for a filter I can't tell.

The body mount ring is a tad under 39mm diameter so I guess this is M39 mount? If so I appear to have two options for EOS mounting: either an M39-EOS adapter, or an insert ring to convert an M42 adapter down to M39. Which method is to be preferred please?

These have cost me very little so it won't break the bank if they aren't any good but I'd like to try them on my Canon 5D or 1DII bodies.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe no way to use on EOS the first lens.

Perhaps second is mountable but you need to look around is it SLR or RF lens. In second case working distance will be short so pretty unusable. I wish you luck ! I prefer M39 -EOS adapter instead of simple downsize ring from M42.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Two new acquisitions - advice / comments please Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
The body mount ring is a tad under 39mm diameter so I guess this is M39 mount? If so I appear to have two options for EOS mounting: either an M39-EOS adapter, or an insert ring to convert an M42 adapter down to M39. Which method is to be preferred please?

There are M39 to M42 ring adapters for about $5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Perhaps second is mountable but you need to look around is it SLR or RF lens. In second case working distance will be short so pretty unusable.

There are no obvious clues on the lens but what am I looking for please?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wigwam/1562490380/

I found on above links, seems both are unusable on SLR.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Oh well, may be of interest to film users? There's a limit to the number of paperweights I need!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
Attila wrote:

Oh well, may be of interest to film users? There's a limit to the number of paperweights I need!

Hold a bit I am looking how can I use them, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Two new acquisitions - advice / comments please Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:

There are M39 to M42 ring adapters for about $5

Seeing other replies, do you use one on a DSLR and with what success please?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pantar is the front-element replacement for some of the cheaper Zeiss Contaflex SLR's - the Alpha and Beta versions I believe, which had the cheaper Pantar lenses instead of the usual Tessars. There are similar devices for the Tessar equipped versions also.

On the Contaflex, one can remove the front elements and replace them with either a tele or wide angle set of front elements.

I have one of these Contaflex Betas and I have been looking for a low-priced Pantar set in good condition.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telenar usable on m4/3 , Panthar is not. Is this Telenar have aperture and focusing ring right ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Telenar usable on m4/3 , Panthar is not. Is this Telenar have aperture and focusing ring right ?

Focusing ring reads from L to R 5 feet/1.5 metres round to infinity, aperture ring runs R to L reading apertures 3.8, 5.6, 8, 11, 16.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
Attila wrote:

Focusing ring reads from L to R 5 feet/1.5 metres round to infinity, aperture ring runs R to L reading apertures 3.8, 5.6, 8, 11, 16.

So it will be usable either on film RF cameras and on m4/3 digital , please drop me a pm if you willing to sell it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Two new acquisitions - advice / comments please Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
I've just acquired a pair of old lenses for a very reasonable price and would like the expert brains here to comment on them please, particularly with regard to suitability for Canon DSLR mounting. ......

Pretty lenses indeed. I prefer the M39-M42 adapter rings, available very cheaply from China/Hong Kong. I have had great success with an Industar 50 by just cutting thin strips of masking tape and wrapping around the M39 thread until you can comfortably screw it into an M42 (NOT a T-Mount Smile ) adapter. This will give you some idea if it will focus or not before you invest in the real adapter. I was told in another thread that standard register distance for M39 is very close to normal M42 register by a couple of tenths of a mm. Only thing to be wary of is how far it projects back into the camera when on infinity. My full frame 5D is particulary susceptible.

No idea about the first lens I'm afraid. Again, roughly working out the register distance by focusing a bright scene onto a peice of card when the lens is at infinity should help you assess its potential.

Good luck and please post some pics Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Two new acquisitions - advice / comments please Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

Pretty lenses indeed. I prefer the M39-M42 adapter rings, available very cheaply from China/Hong Kong. I have had great success with an Industar 50 by just cutting thin strips of masking tape and wrapping around the M39 thread until you can comfortably screw it into an M42 (NOT a T-Mount Smile ) adapter. This will give you some idea if it will focus or not before you invest in the real adapter.

Hmm. That's worth a go.

martyn_bannister wrote:
I was told in another thread that standard register distance for M39 is very close to normal M42 register by a couple of tenths of a mm. Only thing to be wary of is how far it projects back into the camera when on infinity. My full frame 5D is particulary susceptible.

I find that with a variety of 50mm lenses. If it won't work on the 5D it'll probably work on my 1DII, if it won't do either it'll go on EB...!!

martyn_bannister wrote:
No idea about the first lens I'm afraid. Again, roughly working out the register distance by focusing a bright scene onto a peice of card when the lens is at infinity should help you assess its potential.

Hmm.

martyn_bannister wrote:
Good luck and please post some pics Smile

Cheers! It won't be for a few days now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Two new acquisitions - advice / comments please Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:

Cheers! It won't be for a few days now.

Look forward to it Smile

VM has
Quote:

Roeschlein, Kreuznach, Germany.
There is a suggestion in I. Baxter, Photographica World, Autumn 2000 p30 that Roeschlein had been a 'J.Schneider Kreuznach' designer who had also worked prewar with Meyer of Gorlitz on the Trioplan series, then ?moved to J.Schneider and then set up on his own account in Kreuznach to make lenses in the years after 1945. The firm seems to have closed after his death during the 1950's. The products known are mainly fairly modest ones, but this may be due to import restrictions in the UK after the war as they also included a f2/50mm lens.
Telenar f3.8 90mm for Paxette

The <corrected>>> f4 75mm appears to be an unusual lens and I'm still searching VM for that one Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Röschlein Telenar is a dedicated lens for the Braun Paxette . This is a M39 mount , with 44mm flange distance . M42 + M39 sunk adapter + 1,5mm "washer" would be convenient . Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Two new acquisitions - advice / comments please Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

VM has
Quote:

Roeschlein, Kreuznach, Germany.
There is a suggestion in I. Baxter, Photographica World, Autumn 2000 p30 that Roeschlein had been a 'J.Schneider Kreuznach' designer who had also worked prewar with Meyer of Gorlitz on the Trioplan series, then ?moved to J.Schneider and then set up on his own account in Kreuznach to make lenses in the years after 1945. The firm seems to have closed after his death during the 1950's. The products known are mainly fairly modest ones, but this may be due to import restrictions in the UK after the war as they also included a f2/50mm lens.
Telenar f3.8 90mm for Paxette

The <corrected>>> f4 75mm appears to be an unusual lens and I'm still searching VM for that one Smile

VM also has this, as luisalgeria has mentioned - looks like it might be quite rare Smile

Quote:

Contaflex Alpha, Beta, Prima.
These were lower price cameras in the series and had a 45mm Pantar 3-glass triplet as the prime lens. This
required a different set of front cells from the above. These can now be hard to find. The same series was used
in the Contina III (B.J.A. 1958, p263) with also a Steritar D stereo unit. Here a viefinder was required both for
stereo and single frame.
Pantar f2.8 45mm Triplet (App080) Noted at No3,363,77x
ProPantar f4.0 30mm wide angle cell. (App082) Noted at No3,439,52x.
ProPantar f4.0 75mm long focus. (App081) Noted at No3,291,72x.
Steritar D stereo unit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios wrote:
The Röschlein Telenar is a dedicated lens for the Braun Paxette . This is a M39 mount , with 44mm flange distance . M42 + M39 sunk adapter + 1,5mm "washer" would be convenient . Smile

That is nice ! In this case keep it, don't sell. I expect a great portrait lens. I look forward your samples!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Helios wrote:

That is nice ! In this case keep it, don't sell. I expect a great portrait lens. I look forward your samples!

Me too! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Helios wrote:

I agreed too !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a mistake ... Embarassed With 44mm flange distance , only a "sunk" M39 /M42 adapter can work , with the lost of infinity ... The difference is 1,5mm , but in a false direction ... I discovered that by trying yesterday to mount a Staeble Kata 2,8/45mm from my paxette to an m42 body ....