Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Linhof debute.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: The Linhof debute. Reply with quote

My first exposure with the Linhof. Using an Ektar 203mm. It is shot on a grade 4(!) paper, since I am yet to recieve the film I ordered.

Image is unedited, except for made positive in photoshop and removed a few spots.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a gorgeous image. Excellent stuff. K.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume you have tilt on it to blur the background at the top. The car is certainly sharp but it all looks rather surreal.

I read the other day that photographic paper is orthochromatic, so it responds primarily to blue light. As a result the blues will tend to be blown out. It is the same way B&W film worked a century ago.

You should have a lot of fun getting to know that camera.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the front standard is tilted to blur the top of the image. As you said, blue is easy to blow out on paper. The bottom half is green all over thats why it looks like night time. Lucky me it had blueish lights in the car too, so it made it seem like the lower part is in the middle of the night, while the top is daylight. Smile

Knowing id blow out the sky and the church in the background, I chose to blur it. Amazing how you notice stuff on a huge groundglass compared to the tiny 35mm viewfinders. Very Happy

This will be fun. Tuesday or wednsday I get my shipment of 100 sheets. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo-hoo! Good image ...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks surreal fine to me. Looking forward to more! The car looks
like a toy, is that an old Volvo, remember seeing them way back when.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...looks like a Skoda or Renault to me... Excellent first result, you might as well burn the damn camera now, you'll be hard put to match the artistic quality here Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
...looks like a Skoda or Renault to me... Excellent first result, you might as well burn the damn camera now, you'll be hard put to match the artistic quality here Smile

I think its a Ford Anglia 1960ish.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
I think it looks surreal fine to me. Looking forward to more! The car looks
like a toy, is that an old Volvo, remember seeing them way back when.

Maybe you think of the Volvo PV

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people don't know Renault Dauphine?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Dauphine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's what I had in mind... didn't remember the model name...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
You people don't know Renault Dauphine?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Dauphine

Yes. They were quite popular in the US in the late 50's early 60's as just about the only competition for the VW..
I never saw any dark colored ones though. They were mostly a light neutral color here.

PS I really like this shot.

Jules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done !

You got better results on paper than I have.

What paper/what developer ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Well done !

You got better results on paper than I have.

What paper/what developer ?

Dektol and I think it was some Fomaspeed grade 4. I have to check it out, preflashed though. Ill get back to you for certain about the paper next time ive beet to the darkroom.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question:

What weight paper do you use? I want to try paper in my Graflex however I don't know whether single or double weight works.

Thanks very much

Jules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted the Renault right off. Back in the day the Renaut Dauphin was almost as common as VWs around these parts. Even rear-engined too.

Question about the Linhof: which model is it? Linhofs are ultra cool, usually with prices to match.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that picture of yours makes me think more and more at buying a LF. Not a Linhof but a Graflex. Much cheaper.
The other option would be to buy the 17/4 TS-E but it's friggingly expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a field camera, a Graflex is a great way to enter the format, but there are studio cams and monorails that can be had for cheap too. A couple of which are also Graflex, interestingly enough . . .

Me, I'd like to build my own. Plans are scarce, but I finally found a site on the Internet where John Grepstad, the author to a book on building large format cameras, has posted pdf's and .doc files of his book.

Here's his home page:

http://home.online.no/~gjon/jgcam.htm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
If you're looking for a field camera, a Graflex is a great way to enter the format, but there are studio cams and monorails that can be had for cheap too. A couple of which are also Graflex, interestingly enough . . .

Me, I'd like to build my own. Plans are scarce, but I finally found a site on the Internet where John Grepstad, the author to a book on building large format cameras, has posted pdf's and .doc files of his book.

Here's his home page:

http://home.online.no/~gjon/jgcam.htm

They are fairly easy to build however there are so many little refinements in a store bought camera such as detents to position the standards, scales for repeating positioning and angles, locking devices etc, etc that buying something like a Graflex Speed or a technical camera already have in them really makes sense.
I had a homebuilt (well done) 5x7 but it was such a hassle that I gave up on it and got a Graflex Speed II. Works great.

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lulalake"]
cooltouch wrote:

They are fairly easy to build however there are so many little refinements in a store bought camera such as detents to position the standards, scales for repeating positioning and angles, locking devices etc, etc that buying something like a Graflex Speed or a technical camera already have in them really makes sense.
I had a homebuilt (well done) 5x7 but it was such a hassle that I gave up on it and got a Graflex Speed II. Works great.

Sure, but where's the fun in buying something when you can make it? Cool As for the detents and scales, heck that's just a matter of a bit of additional challenge.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera is a Linhof Kardan Color.
Looks like this. I paid about 300€ for it, including lens and 10 film holders.

The paper I have used is as thin as possible. Since you are basically trying to emulate film, which obviously is thinner then paper. This particular paper was a Fortespeed RC plastic grade 4 semi matte paper.

In my experience matte paper works well.

I am also planning to build my own camera. Smile An 8x10. There is really only one measurement that is critical, and thats the film plane. I would recommend getting those parts and build a camera around that. Also the bellows would be sweet to have from start.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cooltouch"]
lulalake wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Sure, but where's the fun in buying something when you can make it? Cool As for the detents and scales, heck that's just a matter of a bit of additional challenge.

LOL! Go for it, just watch those table saws (I know only too well about those beasts).

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:

LOL! Go for it, just watch those table saws (I know only too well about those beasts).

Me too, unfortunately. I probably wouldn't even need to use a table saw though. I have a bandsaw and a drum sander and a milling machine. With those tools, I can control the dimensions of both wood and metal to 0.001" accuracy.

I think for my first view camera, though, I would rather buy an old, worn out one, rescue the hardware from it and install it on a new body with new bellows.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok. I find it very interesting since I am into the process myself. Smile

I am making mine in aluminium, mostly I think.

Lets gather resources and cooperate Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. We should start a thread about DIY large-format cameras. I've already found quite a few resources on the Web.