Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Petri color 35
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Petri color 35 Reply with quote

I bought a Petri color 35 rangefinder today at one of my favorite places.
Really nice condition EX to EX +, and it came with it's leather softcase.
It has a 40 2/8 lens, apeture control from 2.8 to 22, and shutter speed control.

Really nicely designed camera. There are no clicks for setting the apeture. You can set anywhere between 2.8 and 22! It dosen't have to be on a number. Very Happy
All controls are on top of the camera and the layout works. Nice design.
The lens has a wheel that you use to crank out the lens.

I knew nothing of this camera before today, and I'm still doing reaserch.
I'm curious what quality of pictures it will produce.
I will post pictures later today.

Anyone have or used one of these cameras? I hope $2 wasn't to much money. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?PetriColor35.html~mainFrame.
I had - end sixties - the cheaper and less innovatif successor Petri Color 35E, a simple, very compact P&S. It delivered quite decent pictures.
I fear it did not survive the less skill handling by my mother.
Funny thing you have!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a rangefinder as it uses zone focusing.

Its more like a viewfinder camera, i.e. you work out the distance of your subject and then set your aperture. While composing through the viewfinder, you set the focus zone via the focusing wheel and turn the speed dial so that the light meter arrow falls into the round circle. As the speed maxed out at 250, sometimes you need to use your aperture to move the arrow into the round circle, in doing so you will change your DOF you want. When compared with my VCII, the built-in light meter is out by one stop.

The extra I see when compared with traditional zone focusing cameras like my XA2 is that the Petri Color 35 allows more finite focusing as it also has a number of distance markers built-in but I was not good at manual estimation. This might sound crazy but maybe a rangefinder like Ideal, Walz, Leica could help even though it adds an extra step to your workflow.

I have also mount a soft release button to get some extra f-stops.

Fun camera allowing you to compose with both eyes open and a non intimidating camera. Its so small - I can put it into my jacket pocket.

I have downloaded the manual from bukus and I am more than happy to email it to you.

Why don't you check out and join the flickr group....http://www.flickr.com/groups/petri/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Have a look at http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?PetriColor35.html~mainFrame.
I had - end sixties - the cheaper and less innovatif successor Petri Color 35E, a simple, very compact P&S. It delivered quite decent pictures.
I fear it did not survive the less skill handling by my mother.
Funny thing you have!

Thank you for the link. I'm looking foward to giving it a try. Hopefully I will get good results. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiynook wrote:
Its not a rangefinder as it uses zone focusing.

Its more like a viewfinder camera, i.e. you work out the distance of your subject and then set your aperture. While composing through the viewfinder, you set the focus zone via the focusing wheel and turn the speed dial so that the light meter arrow falls into the round circle. As the speed maxed out at 250, sometimes you need to use your aperture to move the arrow into the round circle, in doing so you will change your DOF you want. When compared with my VCII, the built-in light meter is out by one stop.

The extra I see when compared with traditional zone focusing cameras like my XA2 is that the Petri Color 35 allows more finite focusing as it also has a number of distance markers built-in but I was not good at manual estimation. This might sound crazy but maybe a rangefinder like Ideal, Walz, Leica could help even though it adds an extra step to your workflow.

I have also mount a soft release button to get some extra f-stops.

Fun camera allowing you to compose with both eyes open and a non intimidating camera. Its so small - I can put it into my jacket pocket.

I have downloaded the manual from bukus and I am more than happy to email it to you.

Why don't you check out and join the flickr group....http://www.flickr.com/groups/petri/

I will check out the flikr group thanks. I found a manual free on the net from a different source.
I think it will take me a little time and practice to get the focus right.
I have both the Konica C35 and the C35EF. So it's going to be fun to see which one becomes my favorite.
But this camera is even smaller then the Konicas.
I'm really going to need practice at guaging distance tho. Smile
Maybe I will just carry a long tape measure with me. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is small. First picture is the Petri Color 35.
Second picture from left to right. Canonet Q17 GIII, Konica C35, and Petri
Color 35. Wow! what a size difference. Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a beauty, Walter! I like Petri optics, I think you'll like it. The Trip 35
has a 40/2.8 lens, zone focus, and the Petri should give you similar if not
better performance. The Petri has how many shutter speeds? The Trip has
only 1/40 and 1/200sec speeds.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. It has 5 plus the b setting.
1/15, 1/30,1/60,1/125,1/250 sec. speeds.
I'm really looking foward to shooting with this camera.I think I'm going to have alot of fun. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it was a great camera from what I've heard. I don't like the fact that it uses zone focus or I would probably look for one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is mine with additional soft release button and Leica style metal hood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bug.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea with the soft release. I might have to borrow the idea.