Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma APO 400mm/f5.6 - what's this tab for?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Sigma APO 400mm/f5.6 - what's this tab for? Reply with quote

I have the Contax/Yashica version of this lens. There's a little black tab protruding from the base of the lens, at about 7 o'clock, looking from the back of the camera.

It looks like it could be pressed in, perhaps to close the aperture for DOF preview, but it won't move. Does anyone know the purpose of this tab? Is it for aperture preview (and therefore jammed), or just something to do with the mount?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a photo of it...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
Post a photo of it...

Here it is. The picture of the whole lens doesn't show the tab, that's just for identification. The red arrows show the location of the tab in the closeups. Excuse the imprecise focus, I can't control the AF on this little Ixus 80IS, it keeps picking a different part of the picture.

I notice there's a little bit cut away from the CY-4/3 adapter right where this tab travels while attaching the adapter, although it doesn't actually protrude into that area.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stumped as to it's purpose....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guessing the lever is for dof preview, but operates only when lens is mounted on camera.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the MM tab telling the camera the lens is Multi Mode (MM) compatible. All Contax MM lenses (smallest aperture in green) have it; Yashica ML and Contax AE lenses (smallest aperture in white) never had it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
That's the MM tab telling the camera the lens is Multi Mode (MM) compatible. All Contax MM lenses (smallest aperture in green) have it; Yashica ML and Contax AE lenses (smallest aperture in white) never had it.

Thanks for that, I knew someone would know. I Googled it, and although I'm still not sure exactly what it does, I'm sure it isn't a preview tab. Is it ever supposed to move?

And, given that this lens is unlikely to ever be used on a Contax camera again, would it decrease the value of this (fungus affected) lens if I removed it to try to rig up a preview button? Not sure if that idea's practical, I'll probably just end up wishing I never touched it.

A preview button would be helpful. Bird photography and stopping down manually don't really mix well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another technical distinction is that the MM lens has a tab at the lens mount to signal the camera body that it is an MM lens. The real distinction, though, is that the MM lens has a lighter weight diaphragm assembly which allows the camera body to set the f stop for program or shutter preferred modes. The multimode camera body will provide program or shutter preferred operation only with an MM lens.

From: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/htmls/contax_history/history5.htm

The MM tab is absolutely fixed on my Contax Distagon 28/2.8. It has no function other than to signal the body that P and Tv mode are available and that it may set the aperture.

If you want to make an A/M switch or DoF preview button, you need a lever that pushes the long aperture lever (the one that doesn't move when you change the aperture). If you push that lever clockwise, the aperture opens. Maybe there are more ingenious ways of engaging and disengaging the aperture, but then you need do some hack to the aperture mechanism from the inside.

Last edited by AhamB on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:01 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pshute wrote:
Is it ever supposed to move?

Nope, its sole purpose is to trigger a pin on the camera that would signal that the lens mounted is MM compatible.

pshute wrote:
And, given that this lens is unlikely to ever be used on a Contax camera again, would it decrease the value of this (fungus affected) lens if I removed it to try to rig up a preview button? Not sure if that idea's practical, I'll probably just end up wishing I never touched it.

The lens will lose 10% of its value Wink Whether the few bucks are worth it for you is up to you. However, I don't believe it is possible with reasonable efforts to add a DoF preview lever to this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg is right, it's the MM tab, which tells compatible Contax bodies that a Multi-Mode lens is mounted, and that it can use Program and Shutter Priority modes, as well as Aperture priority mode. The tab doesn't move, it engages on a corresponding lug on the camera mount, and moves it slightly when the lens is mounted. It will mount successfully on a non-MM body, such as the Yashica CY SLRs.