Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar series 1 200mm f/3.0 focus grip repaired
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Vivitar series 1 200mm f/3.0 focus grip repaired Reply with quote

When I got this lens off of ebay, the vinyl focus grip was split and quite useless. I had a Vivitar 75-205 lens in M/MD mount that was full of fungus and the mount had been destroyed so I removed the rubber focus grip and cut 1/2" of the rubber off one end. It was a perfect match for the Viv 200mm. Took a lot of pulling and tugging to get it to mount but there it is. Much better looking now and the rubber focus grip feels much much better than the vinyl one did anyway.

Now to clean the lens and focus grip then align the lines properly so the waves are gone. More pulling and tugging. All in all I'm very satisfied.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea and excellent job of it. Why didn't I think of that? Some cheap lenses can be bought just to be a grip donor maybe for less than the cost of a new grip - that is, if you could buy one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Excellent idea and excellent job of it. Why didn't I think of that? Some cheap lenses can be bought just to be a grip donor maybe for less than the cost of a new grip - that is, if you could buy one.

Thanks and quite true. I was already to send it to Atlanta for the repair when as I was laying out the lens for my collection photo, I ran across this lens. Lucky I found and used it as the total cost would have been quite high to send it off.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a superb Vivitar (Komine) 90/2.8 macro with the grip rotting away. It was real cheap, US$3 including shipping (as part of a lot). I had no extra grip material around, so I used... duct tape. Good old reliable duct tape. It fit perfectly. The body now has a certain funky look, but it works quite well. Function trumps form, eh?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow nice job!
Now that's some real DIY'er work! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job!

I have also replaced grip rings with a product called Foamies. It's a foam
sheet available in various colors including black and comes with adhesive
backing. You can buy it at craft supply retailers. It's easy to measure and
cut and goes on easily. The result is better than the original in my opinion.
A nice soft grip-able surface and it looks good too. It can also be used for
some light seal applications.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.