Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Why the "Star Wars" designation for CZJ lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Why the "Star Wars" designation for CZJ lenses? Reply with quote

Today I have received a Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/2 Pancolar in M42 mount (rare in this mount) and with the well-known "Star Wars" design.

Now, what I still don't understand is why this design is called "Star Wars"? I could not find any links about it. Please let me know why it's called this way, thanks Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's a fantastic lens!
Where do you find all these gems?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Why the "Star Wars" designation for CZJ lenses Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Today I have received a Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/2 Pancolar in M42 mount (rare in this mount) and with the well-known "Star Wars" design.

Now, what I still don't understand is why this design is called "Star Wars"? I could not find any links about it. Please let me know why it's called this way, thanks Smile

i guess they called it "Star Wars" design because of those black shapes where the red line for focusing distance is, they look similar to the markings on Star Wars space ships

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look sexy!
now that you collected all the Takumars, you switch on Zeiss Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Wow! That's a fantastic lens!
Where do you find all these gems?

On the local "Marktplaats" of course Smile

To be fair: it's the first one I saw for sale in The Netherlands when I started to check out EVERY classified ad with "Praktica" in it. And I started three years ago... It was fitted to a Praktica PL Nova Ib in great condiction, though the camera is of little value to me...)

But any Pancolar is VERY rare in The Netherlands. Of 1000 Prakticas, only 1 of them would be fitted with a 50mm Pancolar.

Last edited by Spotmatic on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Why the "Star Wars" designation for CZJ lenses Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

i guess they called it "Star Wars" design because of those black shapes where the red line for focusing distance is, they look similar to the markings on Star Wars space ships

Thanks! I will check out some photos of Star Wars spaceships. But even then It would be nice to know who used this name first. Was it on this forum?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
look sexy!
now that you collected all the Takumars, you switch on Zeiss Very Happy

All the Takumars? Not anymore; I only kept the true jewels and sold off the rest. So I have now more time and space to search for other hidden gems Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found two SMC Tak 15/3.5 AL, you found this 50/2 Pancolar (I like the design !), I think we can strike "rare" from the dictionnary Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
I found two SMC Tak 15/3.5 AL, you found this 50/2 Pancolar (I like the design !), I think we can strike "rare" from the dictionnary Laughing

LOL! It isn't rare anymore when CarbonR and/or Spotmatic have found one Wink

But I now understand why it's called the "Star Wars" version. Look at the depth of field scale and then watch the intro of "Star Wars":

Now it all comes together...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Why the "Star Wars" designation for CZJ lenses Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Thanks! I will check out some photos of Star Wars spaceships. But even then It would be nice to know who used this name first. Was it on this forum?

I guess it is the reason.
Those black shapes are on my "starwars" Sonnar 2.8/180 :
http://forum.mflenses.com/some-sonnar-2-8-180-shots-t28288,highlight,sonnar+180.html

cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, I never called it star wars, for me it's the "bugnato" which in Italian means that Renaissance style decoration on walls and doors like you can see here, this is the outer walls of the Palazzo dei Diamanti in Ferrara:

Obviously there must be an English architectural term for this, but I ignore it.

Anyway, if it must be science fiction, then I think that UFO is more appropriate Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first saw that design called 'Star Wars' on here, a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking lens.

You know I have to say it.
May the Force be with you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Space ship design of the Empire.
And also to stormtrooper design.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard about that this is called the "star wars" design.
OK, will never forget that, now Crying or Very sad

Click here to see on Ebay.de

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
M42 mount (rare in this mount)

What is rare about this mount? is it what the mount is made of? Sorry Confused

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Quote:
M42 mount (rare in this mount)

What is rare about this mount? is it what the mount is made of? Sorry Confused

Oh no, I meant to say that you have a 99% chance to find this Pancolar 2/50 with an Exakta mount. To find this lens with a M42 mount is much rarer...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy I understand now! Good find indeed. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up my minty Star Wars Pancolar 50/2 as the standard lens on a Praktica IV FB if it helps anyone with a search Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody start to call 'Star Wars' design here so don't think link outside name was born here. I don't remember who is God father Laughing