Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Planar *T* 50/1.7 or Zeiss Planar 50/1.8 HFT Planar?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Zeiss Planar *T* 50/1.7 or Zeiss Planar 50/1.8 HFT Planar? Reply with quote

I'm contemplating them both. Which is better? The 1.7 seems to sell for more than the 1.8

1.7 *T* is C/Y mount and 1.8 is Rollei bayonet mount, right?

Any enlightenment appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Contax Planar and Rollei Planar Reply with quote

I tried both and depends on the qualities you want, they have their respective benefits. In terms of mechanical construction, the Contax one is more rugged and easier to adapt to DSLR, especially Canon, but would cost more. The Rollei version is more fragile and cheaper, but more tricky to adapt, as the adapter to Canon DSLR is only about 0.7mm thick. According to Zeiss, T* and HFT are the same, but in real world picture taking, the colors are different. If you are using Canon DSLR, I would go for Contax version, good luck to your choice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cambug, thanks so much. Yes, I will be using it on a Canon 30D.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rollei mount is not the easiest to adapt. I would choose the Contax or m42 Zeiss lenses for Canon if you can.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both... my W.Germany made Rollei QBM CZ Planar 1.8 will not reach infinity and will hit the mirror on the 5Dii.

Both are nearly equal sharp(even considering that my 1.8 planar is dual layer coated not HFT) but the Ultron based design Zeiss has smoother bokeh and I might even say that it has stronger 3D effect than the Contax Planar one.
Wide open the QBM one is way sharper that the Contax !!! Infact it's the sharpest 50mm at @1.8 that I own...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Planar *T* 50/1.7 or Zeiss Planar 50/1.8 HFT Plana Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
I'm contemplating them both. Which is better? The 1.7 seems to sell for more than the 1.8

1.7 *T* is C/Y mount and 1.8 is Rollei bayonet mount, right?

Any enlightenment appreciated.

Rollei mount how much?
China:Rollei HFT Planar 50/1.8,QBM 1000 YUAN(about US 150)
Zeiss Planar *T* 50/1.7 1500 Yuan