Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

As requested by Blue
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: As requested by Blue Reply with quote

Same shot with each lens wide open & hoods on. The focus is on the yellow flower to the right of centre.

1. Minolta 50/1.4

2. Minolta 55/1.7

3. Super Takumar 55/1.8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

focus is or was meant to be? I can't see a sharp focus spot (windy?)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on the stem of the flower in all three.

The 55/1.7 wins in the bokeh department, imo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.7/55 photo is in focus a little back of yellow flower, that is why this photo appears sharpest imo

The 1.4/50 an 1.8/55 photos are both slightly front-focused. Guessing 1.8/55 photo would be sharpest if it had same focus point as 1.7/55.

Of these, the 1.8/55 is sharpest and has 'busiest' bokeh (for sure, wow that bokeh is b-u-s-y!)

1.7/55 bokeh is most 'smooth' and 'creamy'.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.7 seems to have the best contrast wide open as well

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exposures are not identical so contrast is difficult to judge.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subject matter is not the best but I had to find something in the shade to shoot wide open. I tried in the open & with minimum ISO (100) & highest shutter speed (1/4000s) I was way over exposed. Sad

Here are crops of the flowers I focused on.

1. Min 50/1.4

2. Min 55/1.7

3. Tak 55/1.8

The flowers were about 10' (3M) away.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the effort revers! The 1st 3 were actually what I was after since I wanted to see the OOF of the lenses, especially those Minolta glasses since I have I don't know how many 55mm Taks. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Bouquet Reply with quote

Very useful and surprising result.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand the value of comparing lenses shot wide open when apertures are not equal, but I can appreciate individually assessing the lenses at their max apertures. Wouldn't one expect a smaller opening to outperform a larger one? A more useful comparison would be to shoot each lens at the first common aperture, then know that the faster lenses give you that with a brighter viewfinder.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I do not understand the value of comparing lenses shot wide open when apertures are not equal, but I can appreciate individually assessing the lenses at their max apertures. Wouldn't one expect a smaller opening to outperform a larger one? A more useful comparison would be to shoot each lens at the first common aperture, then know that the faster lenses give you that with a brighter viewfinder.

That is basically what I did in the thread that led to this requested one. Only I bumped up one stop so no lens was @ max aperture.

http://forum.mflenses.com/seven-50s-compared-t30078.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron: I wasn't saying that there isn't value in assessing a lens' performance at fully open, just that it doesn't make sense to compare unlike apertures.

You actually bumped it up more than two stops on all lenses except the Macro. f/2 might have been a good choice for comparison leaving the under-performing macro out. All the same, I appreciate your efforts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

I asked him to do it to see the out of focus areas especially on the Minolta f1.4 lens and f1.7 lenses. I have at least 8 different Auto-Tak, Super Tak, and SMC tak 55mm f1.8 lenses but was curious about the Minolta glass.

There is value at looking at them wide open and both at f1.7, f2 etc. it just depends on why. I was actually not just looking at the focus spot, but the oof!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, Thanks.

I was planning on buying a Minolta 55 1.7, and was really curious about it's performance.
Thanks to your shots, I will be buying one for futher testing.