Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sun Sparon 8.5cm/2: An Uncommon(?) Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Sun Sparon 8.5cm/2: An Uncommon(?) Lens Reply with quote

Hi All,

Per request, I'm posting two hasty snaps of a recently acquired lens. I always hesitate to use the "r" word in any sphere of collecting, but I think I may be justified in calling this one "rare".

It's a Sun Optical lens, in alloy finish, and it's one I hadn't previously seen or heard of: a "Sparon", 8.5cm/f2. The mount is M42. Judging by the finish and the serial number (not too far from that of my 9cm Sun Sola), I'd guess at a mid-1950s production date.

If you've handled a Sola, or one of the 13.5cm Sun lenses, this one might come as something of a surprise. It's significantly heavier, and seems, overall, to be of more robust construction. The aperture mechanism is a preset (unlike the manual aperture controls of my other Suns from this era), and it uses the "pullback" setting system - something I tend to associate, by and large, with German lenses more than Japanese lenses. Even the original screw-in lens cap, shown in one of the photos, is thick and heavy.

I haven't been able to find out anything about this lens; the only possible mention of it, so far as I can tell, is a passing reference, in the old version of the Vade Mecum, to a Sun "85mm" - and that reference is nothing more than the cryptic phrase "no details". I have to think that a fast 85mm lens would have been something of a crown jewel for Sun during this time period; so if it were a true serial-production lens, one might reasonably expect to find it featured in advertising, if nothing else. By way of comparison, the Japanese manufacturer Tanaka Kogaku, a company I mentally bracket with Sun during this era, advertised an 85mm/2 (LTM) the mid-fifties, but there seems to be some consensus that that lens was never actually sold.

With respect to the lens's performance, I wish I could offer some test shots; but unfortunately, it came to me with a case of fungus, and the focus ring is too stiff for reliable handling. So the lens is on its way, as of this morning, for a complete overhaul. When it returns, I'll be sure to post some images.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure, you've got a rare (!) gem. Razz

Never saw one or even heard about.

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
I'm pretty sure, you've got a rare (!) gem. Razz

Never saw one or even heard about.

Klaus

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that it is indeed extremely rare; this may be just a pre-production sample.

The style is very similar to my 135/3.8 Sun Sola.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool a beauty; nice shape too! I have Exacta-mount 4/90 Sola in not so good shape with haze, untried. I did google "sun sparon"; this fellow has one http://www.flickr.com/people/49576306@N08/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of it before, didn't know sun made such a fast lens back then.

It simply has to be rare.

Looks great too, fingers crossed it performs as good as it looks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all!

I'm looking forward to getting it back and trying it out. Fingers crossed here too.

@siriusdogstar: I'm afraid that fellow is yours truly. I'm surprised google found that reference so quickly!

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is such a lens listed in the ihagee.org Exakta lens list -

http://www.ihagee.org/vimlens20100404.pdf

This is a list of Exakta mount lenses that people have collected or spotted, so there is at least one other like this somewhere, in Exakta mount, or perhaps, since a 1957 date is given, it may have been seen in a magazine article or advertisement.

I have checked the relevant issues of Seymours' Exakta catalogs and there is no mention of it there; nearly everything Exakta in the 1950's went through Seymours, especially Japanese-made lenses, so whatever this was it was not sold through normal channels or in significant numbers.

It may have been made just for the Japanese market, and this may be an example brought back by a visitor. The next step would be to check with Japanese collectors I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quick look around but could only find a few mentions of it.

One was an ebay listing, perhaps it's the same lens?

Another mention is on someone's flickr profile (maybe this is you?)

http://www.flickr.com/people/49576306@N08/

This guy has a hell of a lot of lenses but he hasn't posted any samples taken with it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Univers photos on flickr! Very Happy A case of a lot of lenses so little time...eh
Thanks for posting it looks stunning...and I will be waiting for those photos from it Very Happy as you will be too I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the one from Ebay. I saw it and was thinking of bidding on it.
Glad a member got it.

Along the same lines did anyone see this new listing.This is a camera lens right, not a movie lens.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
If this is the one from Ebay. I saw it and was thinking of bidding on it.
Glad a member got it.

Along the same lines did anyone see this new listing.This is a camera lens right, not a movie lens.
Click here to see on Ebay

I think it is a cine lens, possibly C-mount? The M39/exacta Sun 75mm are f/3.5.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movie lens I believe, possibly D mount (for 8mm).

Sun made a lot of those.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
That's Univers photos on flickr! Very Happy A case of a lot of lenses so little time...eh
Thanks for posting it looks stunning...and I will be waiting for those photos from it Very Happy as you will be too I guess.

I thought it might be!

What a scarce piece this seems to be.