Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tri-X 400 like 1600 portrait
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Tri-X 400 like 1600 portrait Reply with quote

Shortly... was bad developing (my self - many ruined photos due incorrect reel up - need to buy some new one apparently) and not very good scan (from lab) but have one from acceptable photos adjusted with pp... see:
cam: Fujica st801 with Kodak Tri-X 400 pushed on 1600iso -> great and nice grain!
developed in Fomadon D-76n 20°C and 9,5 min

Biometar 80/2.8 @2.8 1/2000

[c&c] welcome - thx

Last edited by spleenone on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good portrait, and it looks sharp where it should be. Can you go back and brush out the dust spots?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the slightly grungy feel of this one, there's a sense of atmosphere

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is an awfully pretty girl for such grunge ... Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
Good portrait, and it looks sharp where it should be. Can you go back and brush out the dust spots?

Thanks.
I am afraid that it is not dust but some dirt from home developing. Tried to regulate that.

fish4570 wrote:
She is an awfully pretty girl for such grunge ... Shocked Laughing

Yes she is nice woman =) But what did you and Nesster mean with that grunge? That music style or what?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see those spots now. Excellent ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps gritty is a better word than grunge. The film, exposure, scan, smoke all contribute to a gritty atmosphere ... Cool

I have no idea what grunge music is ... Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mudhoney_-_Touch_Me_I%27m_Sick.ogg

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tri-x 400 pushed to 1600 is excellent. i developed one few months ago in D76 1+1 and looks fantastic (mid tones are present, contrast very good and grain HP5-like style, which i love Smile).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob van Sikorski wrote:
tri-x 400 pushed to 1600 is excellent. i developed one few months ago in D76 1+1 and looks fantastic (mid tones are present, contrast very good and grain HP5-like style, which i love Smile).

yeah but next time I should leave it little longer at bath for better contrast as I think. That powder Foma developer D-76n is probly not as strong as Kodak D-76. Used stock dev.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i using for more contrast more agitation (typically i develop with times from digitaltruth an agitate first 30sec constantly, then every half minute 3 to 4 agitations and last 30sec constantly again. my brother uses much less agitation, but he using ilford's ID11 stock.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob van Sikorski wrote:
i using for more contrast more agitation (typically i develop with times from digitaltruth an agitate first 30sec constantly, then every half minute 3 to 4 agitations and last 30sec constantly again. my brother uses much less agitation, but he using ilford's ID11 stock.

I see. Read somewhere that agitation shorten developing time. Now I understand that it increasng contrast. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use this rules for developing. iam not entirely sure, that they are correct, but works for me very fine:

1) want more contrast? use more agitation
2) want more mid tones? use dilution (not stock, but 1+1 or 1+3, depends on situation), but be carefull to loose contrast
3) if you want push more, use more dilution and also more time to develop. do not change agitation, because you will kill all rest mid tones on heavily pushed film

this rules work for me very fine. but i dont have much experiences in darkroom, i develop some kodak trix on 400, some pushed to 1600, since that i am using only ilford P4 (HP5 equiv) in variety of sensitivity (400 to 1600).

maybe iam totally wrong, iam newbie in darkroom and HP5/trix are VERY , VERY flexible films Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll try we'll learn. I also not experience developer. Sometimes could speak about luck Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, luck is THE word, which i knows very well Smile.

another funny part is, that you're from slovakia, i'am from czechchia, we was both part of "czechoslovakia". we can both wrote in our mother language and understand to each other Smile.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how the dimple (I get these too, sometimes, *dammit*) looks like part
of a smoke ring. Beautiful shot and the subject, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob van Sikorski wrote:
yes, luck is THE word, which i knows very well Smile.

another funny part is, that you're from slovakia, i'am from czechchia, we was both part of "czechoslovakia". we can both wrote in our mother language and understand to each other Smile.

Aj to je možné Very Happy

Katastrofo wrote:
I like how the dimple (I get these too, sometimes, *dammit*) looks like part
of a smoke ring. Beautiful shot and the subject, too.

Thanks a lot Katastrofo =)

...decide to move on with one more sample. Love her desperate expression.

Biometar 80/2.8 at f2.8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying your work, on this one there's all that geometry and 'back stage' business, light's great, model's great...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good shot splee.

Now I understand how "grunge" applies: the shots were made in a photo studio! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
I'm really enjoying your work, on this one there's all that geometry and 'back stage' business, light's great, model's great...

Thanks. Yes... back stage - it was during some short student's film - that tripod with Canon 7D as camera. Great experience to shoot the film with such tool.
fish4570 wrote:
Another good shot splee.
Thank you =)
fish4570 wrote:
Now I understand how "grunge" applies: the shots were made in a photo studio! Laughing

Definitely =D