Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hoya 135mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Hoya 135mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Just arrived today from a flea bay seller, anyone have experience of this lens? Mine is Canon fd fitting

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoya worked for Vivitar , so it may well be identical to a Vivitar lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hoya HMC Tele-Auto 135mm f/2.8, ser 61####. Average in size, weight, and appearance, but well above average in performance.

We found our sample smooth in operation and easy to handle. ... Hoya has included two of its most recent optical glasses within the fours air-spaced elements, which provide no disappointment in the image.

Typical pattern of slight overcorrected spherical aberration at f/2.8, showing some zonal aberration. A relatively small red flare was also seen. No prominent axial color was seen etc etc... and the image became excellent at f/5.6 for both on and off axis.

Field test: our color transparancies showed a slight softness when the lens was used at f/2.8. The lateral color could not be observed in the film image, as we expected. At f/4 the center and edge image quality were excellent. Cloise in we noted a slight loss of sharpness in the corners, but this improved as we stopped down to f/8 or smaller apertures, as would be expected.

The resolution chart has Excellents and V.Goods all the way down to f/16 - at f/22 the diffraction takes over... the center settles on 52 lines/mm, though it has a peak at f/11 and 62 lpmm... the edge cruises along at 48lpmm for most of the range

Contrast typically for the tests of this era are low, though get to the Medium range between 5.6 and 11. It is in the mid 50's % at 30 lpmm.

this in the Nov 1978 Modern Photography - the results are better than e.g. a '77 test of a Pentax SMC-M 135/3.5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!!! Much appreciated for that info!!!
My serial # begins with 63

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own one in Olympus OM mount.

Very good lens indeed but has some CA at wide apertures.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tried the 135/2.8, but the 24/2.8 is very good indeed. The 100-300/5.6 is very good at f8 as well, although soft wide open.

I reckon some of the Hoya HMCs are well worth a punt.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where information on lens formalae and diagrams can be found for Hoya lenses? I suspect that there were 2 different 28mm f2.8 lenses but trying to figure it out is confounding because there m42 and k-mount versions. I have seen the K-mount 7/7 version get mixed results from people, some praise it and some have claimed to throw it in the trash.

Also, did Hoya send the glass over to Tokina to be assembled?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Hoya worked for Vivitar , so it may well be identical to a Vivitar lens.

I'm not convinced that Vivitar made them for Hoya. Vivitar had there lenses made from a variety of sources so if they did, they would have sent them somewhere like Tokina or Komine. Given Hoya has been known for blank glass production, it seem more likely that they would have sent them to Tokina etc. if they were doing them out of house.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had both a Vivitar 24/2.8 (Tokina made) and Hoya 24/2.8 and the Hoya is much better.

Are we certain Hoya didn't make their own lenses?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll dig up the magazine review (maybe even scan it for you all)... as I recall it did say that Hoya was making them. But that can mean that Hoya did the design and ground the elements, and someone else assembled them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People say that Tokina assembled the lenses but I think people might just be getting confused by the two companies involvement with each other further down the line, it might still be true though, just because it happened before doesn't mean Tokina were any less likely as a candidate than any other brand, that's assuming they were assembled by another company.

I have two Hoya lenses, a 200mm F/3.5 which is very sharp but has some pretty severe colour fringing wide open in some situations and it can be a bit too bad to easily remove in PP, a shame because sometimes it gives fantastic results and is very decent in all other aspects.

I also have a 75-260mm F/4.5 which does sound like it might be a Tokina design. This lens pretty compact considering it's range and relatively fast aperture and it gives fairly good pictures too considering it's completely riddled with fungus, not just a little but enough where it would definitely effect quality, I'm always keeping a casual eye out for a cheap duplicate copy because I think a clean example would be a good performer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I've had both a Vivitar 24/2.8 (Tokina made) and Hoya 24/2.8 and the Hoya is much better.

Are we certain Hoya didn't make their own lenses?

Up until this past week, I always thought Hoya made their lenses. I have seen people make comments in various places comparing them to Vivitar and Tokina. I have been looking for formulae and diagrams but they seem to be tough to find.