Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sonnar 135/3.5-Komine 135/2.8/Pentacon 135/2.8 preset-TesT
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Sonnar 135/3.5-Komine 135/2.8/Pentacon 135/2.8 preset-TesT Reply with quote

Sonnar at f 3.5

Komine 135/2.8 M42 at 2.8

Pentacon 135/2.8 preset

[b]Sonnar 5.6

[/b]Komine 5.6

Pentacon 5.6

Sonnar 11

Komine at f11

Pentacon at f11

CROP FLARE

Last edited by francotirador on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that Pentacon is smooth wide open!

I should use mine more!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon is a very good lens , sharpness is not everything. Pentacon is sharp enough for most purposes if not easy to make it sharp in RAW. Bokeh, smooth rendering is first class in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Pentacon you focused on front leg thus body of tripod seems unsharp wide open.

Pentacon is super sharp wide-open if you have clean and well adjusted sample. It might sound as bragging but i have collection of 20 pieces. Only 5 of them were obtained in cool state from Ebay. Others didn't perform optimally and various elements had to be cleaned from mostly haze (condensation residue). Even when initial state is resurrected and everything seems OK, 30% of Pentacons do not reach top sharpness due to different causes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they were budget lenses. I had also a lot of them and I found only one I guess what was sharp wide open anyway I like them with soft wide open too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my favorite sample too Smile. Auto version still budget but preset MC version with many blades (red, green or red letters) going close to 200 EUR with Greek super-seller.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I have my favorite sample too Smile. Auto version still budget but preset MC version with many blades (red, green or red letters) going close to 200 EUR with Greek super-seller.

Spiro know something that for sure, thanks for him this lenses slowly reach their position what they deserved. I don't think so a few EUR is right price for them like MC going mostly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I have with mine is that photos with extreme oof highlight discs have a yellowish ring around the edge of the bokeh discs, it only happens with highlights such as glitter, fairy lights and so on when very out of focus.

I don't know if it's a characteristic of the lens or if some of the elements have adhesive around the edge that has yellowed with age?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
The only problem I have with mine is that photos with extreme oof highlight discs have a yellowish ring around the edge of the bokeh discs, it only happens with highlights such as glitter, fairy lights and so on when very out of focus.

I don't know if it's a characteristic of the lens or if some of the elements have adhesive around the edge that has yellowed with age?

I saw only with yellow edge if I remember as well, not so common lens I saw only 2-3 copies not more under 4 years locally.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should pay attention to your exposures when testing.
The pictures are not equally exposed.

This can lead to overexposure in some area's which sometimes is identified as a lens error. (especially in highlighted areas)

Best is to use a lightmeter, make the pictures in manual mode with all the setting identical. This way you can rule out any exposure errors.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zippie wrote:

This can lead to overexposure in some area's which sometimes is identified as a lens error. (especially in highlighted areas)

I agree. Camera bodies meter differently on different alt lenses. If your exposures end up different, then at least equalize them in a RAW program. I think those crops of the overexposes 'flares' (they are not flare, just highlights) are quite useless now because the exposures are so different.

I am surprised by the big differences in apparent DoF, by the way.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting test.
My rating from best to worst:
Bokeh smoothness: Pentacon, Sonnar, Komine (some bright ring)
CA-correction: Sonnar, Komine, Pentacon

Contrast is difficult to judge because the exposures are different.
I also agree the Pentacon was front-focused (on the tripod foot).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zippie wrote:

Best is to use a lightmeter, make the pictures in manual mode with all the setting identical. This way you can rule out any exposure errors.

Exposure is the same for all three lenses, starting from the first measurement I closed a diaphragm and down one point the shutter speed. But the lenses work differently in different areas. The Komine has a tendency to blow up the highlight, and the difference of the coating, is very important.
Is precisely for that, to correct the extreme.
Greetings.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
zippie wrote:

I agree. Camera bodies meter differently on different alt lenses. If your exposures end up different, then at least equalize them in a RAW program. I think those crops of the overexposes 'flares' (they are not flare, just highlights) are quite useless now because the exposures are so different.

I am surprised by the big differences in apparent DoF, by the way.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting test.
My rating from best to worst:
Bokeh smoothness: Pentacon, Sonnar, Komine (some bright ring)
CA-correction: Sonnar, Komine, Pentacon

Contrast is difficult to judge because the exposures are different.
I also agree the Pentacon was front-focused (on the tripod foot).

I agree that cameras, measured differently with different lenses.
But here there was only one measurement, and was with the Sonnar at f3.5. Everything else was correction of scale.
But I think I made a mistake, the WB was automatic.
Still, I'm sure you appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of the lens.
Greetings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree on that. Ok, the camera measured different with different lenses. But then again you would need to correct it.
If you correct it in a raw developer, you can have blown out highlights that you can not recover anymore.
To be completely correct, you need to use identical setting for every part of the test including development,….
Framing, lightning,.. they can all have an influence on the measurement.

The best is to use the same lightning, exposure, wb. Then test 3 lenses at the same aperture and repeat for the next set.(with different exposure offcourse)
I also have lenses that I know screw with the cameras lightmeter (my Jupiter 11a is the worst).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the same exposure value in the three lenses. ISO 100, f4 at 3600 - the same value for all three. Without any correction.
I believe that we should not use auto WB.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lenses are so close that you would be very hard pressed to see any appreciable difference in general use. BTW, which Komine version is that? Do you have a picture?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the Komine is close to the Sonnar. If I think there is much difference of coating. That is very important. I have seen many lenses Komine, have this feature. Overexpose highlights.
Tomorrow I upload a photo of the lens, before returning.
Regards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Examining the Komine, when I returned.
I found that has a little dirt, oil appears. It may be better than what showed.
Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I think the lenses are so close that you would be very hard pressed to see any appreciable difference in general use. BTW, which Komine version is that? Do you have a picture?

Sorry, dont have picture. It is the same as bought Zippie. Find out the serial No.