Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Slovenia II Koper
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Slovenia II Koper Reply with quote

Rokkor MC 24/2.8 :

Vivitar 17/3.5 FD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Italy , must have place to visit, nice shoots, thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice, makes me want to go visit!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you , Klaus and Attila Very Happy Indeed a nice and relaxed place to visit. It looks indeed like Italy ,because the long administration of the Venetian Republic on the Dalmatian coast until 1797.Also known under the Italian name of Capodistria.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole Istria (or Istra) peninsula was actually part of the reign of italy between wwI and wwII, and had common history from the 13th century (after the Republic of Venice that lasted 500 years, the area was shortly ruled by Napoleon and then passed to the Austro-Hungarian empire)
A relevant Italian community lives there (around 6% of population), needless to say that for history, culture and geography the italian north-east and parts of Slovenia and Croatia are very tightly bound.

Beautiful pics.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful photos of the "Slovenian" coastal towns. Slovenian in quotes because this part of the world has actually always been Italian until after WW2 when it was passed to Slovenia. Ironically the actual Slovenian coast is now part of Italy. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Very beautiful photos of the "Slovenian" coastal towns. Slovenian in quotes because this part of the world has actually always been Italian until after WW2 when it was passed to Slovenia. Ironically the actual Slovenian coast is now part of Italy. Wink

Thank you , Miran , for your kind words .
I had a great unforgettable day in Koper and Piran . I had no photographic primary goal in this trip ,so the pics are more snapshots . So this time I had no problems because I was losing too much time shooting one subject Laughing Thus , my pics are classic vacation ones Laughing

miran wrote:
Ironically the actual Slovenian coast is now part of Italy. Wink
Very interesting , Do you refere at the coast around Trieste ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:

Yes, the area between Trieste (Slov. Trst) and the Isonzo river (Slov. Soča) is originally Slovenian (as well as most of inland Istria and Carst and regions further to the north and east), the rest of the coast has been Venetian for centuries. This division is quite obvious by the architecture and even more so if you go further inland to the area that has always been under the Habsburg empire and never under Venice. Different parts of the land passed hands between Venice, Napoleon and the Austian-Hungarian empire as empires rose and collapsed over centuries. Then after WW1 and especially after WW2 things really got messed up when first Italy took a lot of land from Austria and then gave some but not all back to (then) Yugoslavia. When they drew the final borders in 1947 they left a lot of Slovenians in Italy and about the same number of Italians in Yugoslavia. It's tragic in many ways. Just a little local history for you. Smile

Btw, those tall palm trees you seem to have liked so much are not indigenous. They brought them here a few years ago from I don't know where for a lot of money. I think more than half of them already died and it's just a matter of time before they all do. The climate is too harsh for them. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
yinyangbt wrote:

Yes, the area between Trieste (Slov. Trst) and the Isonzo river (Slov. Soča) is originally Slovenian (as well as most of inland Istria and Carst and regions further to the north and east), the rest of the coast has been Venetian for centuries. This division is quite obvious by the architecture and even more so if you go further inland to the area that has always been under the Habsburg empire and never under Venice. Different parts of the land passed hands between Venice, Napoleon and the Austian-Hungarian empire as empires rose and collapsed over centuries. Then after WW1 and especially after WW2 things really got messed up when first Italy took a lot of land from Austria and then gave some but not all back to (then) Yugoslavia. When they drew the final borders in 1947 they left a lot of Slovenians in Italy and about the same number of Italians in Yugoslavia. It's tragic in many ways. Just a little local history for you. Smile

Btw, those tall palm trees you seem to have liked so much are not indigenous. They brought them here a few years ago from I don't know where for a lot of money. I think more than half of them already died and it's just a matter of time before they all do. The climate is too harsh for them. Wink

I like history ,so, thank you .I was aware about the territorial problems and because I made my homework (as usual) before leaving. Your post is very useful , because clarifies some details that are not very clear in my documentation material ,and I didn't find any serious travel guide about Slovenia in Romania (wich is unfortunate) .

About the palm trees The same happened here in Romania at Constantza on the Black sea , where Publius Ovidius Naso was exiled .After 2000 years some notabilities here decided to do the same as your folks in Koper and brought palm trees .Probably to rise nostalgic memories to the poet's statue ,wich wasn't impressed at all Laughing The palm trees were very impressed by the harsh winters , and you can guess the rest Laughing