Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 Lenses - Recommendations?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: M42 Lenses - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Hello!
Having been bitten by the MF bug last year, I'm looking to purchase some more lenses, preferably M42 mount like my current MF lenses, and would truly appreciate your suggestions.

What I'd most like to find is a lens with an aperture of 1.4 or wider in the 55mm to 70mm range, with a budget of about $250.
Having tried the the S-M-C Takumar 50mm f/1.4, which is a joy to use, I found myself longing after the longer focal length of the Helios-44 I use at the moment.
I realize this is probably a futile search as most lenses are 50mm in length, but it's always worth asking! Smile

I'm also looking into buying a 135mm lens with an aperture of 2.8 or wider, to complement the Jupiter-37A I currently use. There is an endless amount of alternatives available, so I really appreciate any and all suggestions for a lens with reasonable sharpness and 'bokeh' quality wide open. With a budget of around $100 in mind, would the Tair-11A be a good alternative?

I remember visiting a website last year with a very comprehensive and helpful database on old M42 lenses, with the specifications, user comments and (possibly, can't remember for sure) sample photos taken with them. Does anyone know if it's still around? I didn't bookmark it, naturally, and can't find it now despite trying my best.

Many thanks for any suggestions, I often browse here for inspiration and information!
-Solidpace

Last edited by Solidpace on Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tair-11A one of the best fast 135mm lens with M42 mount. ~100 USD good price.

My quick M42 suggestion.

Any Russian ,Takumar, Chinon, Tokina, Vivitar Series 1, Steinheil, Schenider Kreuznach, Carl Zeiss, Carl Zeiss Jena, Meyer-Optik, Pentacon is good choice what you can find and afford. + Pentacon six, Kiev-60 lenses + M42-P6 adapter.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mount/m42lens/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

My quick M42 suggestion.

Any Russian ,Takumar, Chinon, Tokina, Vivitar Series 1, Steinheil, Schenider Kreuznach, Carl Zeiss, Carl Zeiss Jena, Meyer-Optik, Pentacon is good choice what you can find and afford. + Pentacon six, Kiev-60 lenses + M42-P6 adapter.

A true suggestion, Attila. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have only been 54802725 threads about this... Why don't you just browse some of the many many threads about M42 lenses and look at ones about focal lengths that you like to use. There is such a wealth of information here - please make use of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

The M42 information site you're thinking of is/was M42artlimited.net, most likely. While it wasn't necessarily fully up to date (or comprehensive), I consulted it often. The URL still works, but it seems the M42 lens portion of the enterprise has been dropped.

With respect to your specific question about longer-than-50mm fast normal lenses, there are a few options. For one thing, there's a range of excellent 55/1.4 M42 lenses, all arguably sharing a common design: brand names include Rikenon, Sears, Mamiya/Sekor, and probably a few others. You should be able to locate a nice example at a price well within your budget. (True, they're 55s, rather than 58s, but that might be a compromise you could live with.)

Another option would be to find a 58/1.4 Topcor, and convert the mount to M42 using one of the kits available on eBay. I've done that successfully, as have several other members. The problem there might be bringing everything in under US$250. The adapter is ~US$50, so the challenge would be locating a good user example of the Topcor at or below US$200. Not impossible by any means - I seem to recall a few popping up recently on eBay at good prices, although I had no reason to check the listings closely - but it might require a bit of patience.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many other possibilities, but that's a starting point, in any case.

Beyond that, you've already got some excellent advice. There's a lot of knowledge gathered here; I would search around and absorb it.

Good luck!

Jon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

Attila wrote:

My quick M42 suggestion.

Thank you for the endorsement Attila, I'll go for the Tair-11A then. I'll keep that list of 'generally good' brands in mind, I'm sure it'll come in handy! Smile

AhamB wrote:
There have only been 54802725 threads about this... Why don't you just browse some of the many many threads about M42 lenses and look at ones about focal lengths that you like to use. There is such a wealth of information here - please make use of it.

Please do accept my sincerest apologies for causing such deep emotional distress. Rolling Eyes I did attempt to make use of the information available here to the best of my abilities, which is how I came to the conclusion that the Tair-11A would probably be a good choice, something I merely wished to double-check before purchasing it. As for the wide-aperture 55+mm lenses, there is comparatively little information available compared to say 50mm lenses.

Univer wrote:

With respect to your specific question about longer-than-50mm fast normal lenses, there are a few options. For one thing, there's a range of excellent 55/1.4 M42 lenses, all arguably sharing a common design: brand names include Rikenon, Sears, Mamiya/Sekor, and probably a few others. You should be able to locate a nice example at a price well within your budget. (True, they're 55s, rather than 58s, but that might be a compromise you could live with.)

Another option would be to find a 58/1.4 Topcor, and convert the mount to M42 using one of the kits available on eBay. I've done that successfully, as have several other members. The problem there might be bringing everything in under US$250. The adapter is ~US$50, so the challenge would be locating a good user example of the Topcor at or below US$200. Not impossible by any means - I seem to recall a few popping up recently on eBay at good prices, although I had no reason to check the listings closely - but it might require a bit of patience.

Many thanks for these suggestions, Jon!
Any focal length between 55 to 65/70mm is fine, so I appreciate these suggestions! The Rikenon/Mamiya Sekor/Sears/Tomioka?/Chinon? 55mm f/1.4 does look like a very promising alternative indeed.
On the other hand, so does the Topcor + conversion... Laughing
I'll look around on eBay for a while for a well-priced Topcor, and if none pops up I'll go for the 55mm.

Thanks to you all for the help!