Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Choosing wide-angle lense - porst 35 or orestegon 29
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Choosing wide-angle lense - porst 35 or orestegon 29 Reply with quote

Hi. Please, help me to choose one..
I'm choosing between PORST Weitwinkel 3.5/35mm , and Meyer Görlitz Orestegon 2.8/29mm.

I prefer second one, but it seems too soft for wide angle... Porst showing very nice sharpness and color in examples i've found in the net...
Any advices?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer / Pentacon 29mm lenses seem to have had very bad quality control. You can literally test 7 or 8 before you find a reasonable one!

Personally, I'd get something better than both of them e.g. Tamron Adaptall 2 28/2.5 (excellent), Vivitar 28/2.8 (excellent) or Yashica DS 28/2.8 etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Porst 35/2.8, not the f/3.5. It is OK, nothing spectacular. I can't comment on the Meyer 29.

The lenses in the 28-37 range I use the most are Pentax M28/2.8 and Super Takumar 35/3.5, Soligor 28/2.8, and Isco Westron 35/2.8. All are quite sharp and inexpensive.

Are you asking about the Porst and the Meyer because they are available for purchase? You might want to wait for something better. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies. Yes, both of them available to buy. I'll try them today, will see which is better...

I'll post results in case of buying one.
Btw, please, excuse me for my english, it isn't my native language Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your English is just fine Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porst had at least 5 different 35mm lens producers. So which one do you have? Avoid Korean made.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ensinor or Clubman (same lens) 24mm F2.8.

Cheap and sharp and also good on FF.

Most of these were taken with the Ensinor on 5D.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... Meyer Orestegon 29mm f/2.8 was bought. Pretty stiff and nice construction comparing to Porst. Especially, keeping in mind that this lens 10 years older than me.

Veri nice color, but little softy wide open.. Sweet bokeh at closeups. Heavy vignetting wide open.

I'll put some samples later (:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Meyer / Pentacon 29mm lenses seem to have had very bad quality control. You can literally test 7 or 8 before you find a reasonable one!

Personally, I'd get something better than both of them e.g. Tamron Adaptall 2 28/2.5 (excellent), Vivitar 28/2.8 (excellent) or Yashica DS 28/2.8 etc.

+1