Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What Happened Here?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: What Happened Here? Reply with quote

I tried some Delta 3200 with DDX developer and using the Ilford times along with the Massive Development Chart, pushing to 12500iso (1+4 for 17mins @ 20 degrees) and apart from producing terribly under-develpoed negs I had the weird lines as seen below in about a third of the negs.

An ideas what caused this?

The only thing I can think of is light somehow got into the changing bag.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad. under-development: are you sure you measured exposition appropriatelly? in these situations, you should add +1EV because exposimeters in cameras are calibrated for daylight sun, bulb light confuses them. moreover, you must count with Schwartschild. and last of all, 17min of developing seems not enough to me - surely more agitation will produce more contrasty images, and with this kind of images, minute or two more developing doesn´t make mistake at all

ad. ugly lines: i think that light went into the tank/changing bag. second option is touching of parts of film during developing, but this doesn´t seem probable, it would look different then

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing looks like film sprockets... so at some point along the way a tiny bit of light got to the film, and at such an EI anything can make an impression. Although, now that I'm looking at it, it looks like maybe from a zipper too, so the changing bag theory is a fair one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the Kodak-type film apron instead of a reel? This looks like
artifacts from an apron, one of the reasons I don't use them anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second previous posts. Check your changing bag, I'd try firing a flash inside it with ambient light dimmed. Revise your metering technique, empirically inside shots need a bit more exposure than what a meter tells. Remember that more than 1/2" exposure is reciprocity failure domain. Don't expect much detail anyway in the shadows.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm not too worried about the developing; it's just case of finding out how to process the film. Clearly the 17 mins is not enough for 12800, so I'm testing the same development exposed at 1600iso to see what happens. The negs show hardly any detail at all.

I'm using a stainless reel. It seemed to load easily enough. I think I had a slight leak where my hands go into the changing bag. I'll go back to loading at night with room lights off.